Celox

elicokiz

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have used the gauze version in Afghan, works better just pack it into the wound and then apply direct pressure. They didn't issue the granules just the gauze, was meant to be easier to apply and less problems with it getting blown away when you open it up in a rush. That said it is more expensive but it works really well. i just carry that and a new ffd

Have used the gauze version in Afghan, works better just pack it into the wound and then apply direct pressure. They didn't issue the granules just the gauze, was meant to be easier to apply and less problems with it getting blown away when you open it up in a rush. That said it is more expensive but it works really well. i just carry that and a new ffd

Im with you there. Ive had the gauze stuffed into my back and neck, ricochet gouged my back leaving a 8/9 inch wound channel and some tissue damage on my neck that was awkward to get pressure on. Flushed with saline, loadsa drugs, lying on my stomach for 4 weeks, good as new. Probably stopped me from bleeding out and saved me. Better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it...

Edited by big fell!
Added some more

As per the mixed reviews, I attended an Emergency First Aid at Work Course (Forestry) last week and the instructor briefly mentioned Celox and his advice was not to use it. He stated it should only be applied in certain circumstances by professionals and that bandages and pressure should halt most bleeding.

All I can add is my wife is a nurse and said the 'eye wash' has the same saline content as used for wound cleaning (not for IV), so eye wash can be used for wound cleaning (if required) and from recent papers so can clean tap water be used to flush a wound.

A friend who was SAS in NI yrs ago, carried 'tampax' to put in bullet wounds, so can they be carried in your first aid to pack a wound to stop heavy bleeding? from following the thread I'm sure somebody has the answer.

I think most people have never had to deal with a heavy wound, so can the guys with field experience give us a few tips, as it's very different in field conditions compared to a fully equiped hospital.

• 2 weeks later...

I used Celox last week in afghan on my recce - it almost definitely saved a life, I also used a CAT tourniquet (another must for first aid kit). It is awesome but you still need to apply pressure and carry out normal first aid.

From experience I wouldn't use quick clot it heats up and if miss used can do more harm. Celox mesh all the time.