bs:5837, how to go about it?

sloth

Arbculture- the drain cover could have been noted in the context of the exam question in that car park run off could be drained through it, it may have a bearing on where you chose to place the car park, and it could have been noted on the map. I'm sure there will be other reasons, but I didn't notice it anyway!

Thanks for that Sloth.

But without knowing what the questions were, I'm still not sure I understand.

I've probably got the complete wrong end of the stick, but is the exam placing the arb in the position of someone who would be undertaking a site survey and then designing the layout of a site?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not exactly, the question gives you an area to work within. In that area the 'client' wishes to place a car park of a given size with lighting and access of a minimum width. It is up to you to suggest where the car park, power/lights and access could go, highlighting any arb implications from the construction and use of the finished park; and suggesting ways around these problems.

Hope that helps:confused1:

Sloth you've just reminded me that the BS5837 practical on the tech cert last year was one of the maddest ''work'' scenarios I've ever found myself dealing with and completely unlike any BS5837 work I've done before or since.

I learnt a lot doing the course, but that part of the exam was quite frustrating.

Not exactly, the question gives you an area to work within. In that area the 'client' wishes to place a car park of a given size with lighting and access of a minimum width. It is up to you to suggest where the car park, power/lights and access could go, highlighting any arb implications from the construction and use of the finished park; and suggesting ways around these problems.

Hope that helps:confused1:

Thanks Sloth, that makes more sense and sounds a bit more realistic than I thought at first.