Climbing self tend lowering? due to bad grounds people!

Danavan

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair points, but no matter how many tickets you get, unfortunately people will still achieve them and be useless so probably a pointless excercise IMO.

I have several climbers that work for me. Some have all the tickets and are fantastic, other have turned up with all the tickets and are absolute rubbish, these don't get invited back for a second day! Others have the basic tickets but are also fantastic. Experience and attitude are what I'd prefer over everything else.

R

I have had lads with enough paper to wall the vatican but when it came to grounding or climbing they where shhit. I truly belive after 17 years in ,that certain people (male +femail ) make good tree operatives. Some come in thinking they might like this (lumberjacking axe men hugging bollax) job. But 5 times out of ten i find they A want a job B dont want to learn anything C think that health and safety happens to other people. I am soo happy that the lads / gals that get through to work on all of our trees are comited and WANT to work. Im proud of my staff and they love what they do.

if the pickys invade see em off with good consistant safe tree work.

for several branches, take several slings and carabinas up, take a bite of rope, tie the loose tail off on the stem near you in the tree, (or end of climbing line:blushing:) sling the branch, clip the crab into the bite, fig 8 or wrap the other end over/round a fork pulling slack through, cut and lower the branch, untie the loose end from round the stem and pull through.

you end up having to find the slings and crabs, at the end, but it works

make sence?

Yup, makes sense.

Done that a few times myself, when I don't have a groundy on call.

Unfortunately, it seems that some companies are willing to invest in the climbers skills, yet over-look the groundstaff. They just dont wish to spend the money, over the years I've had several tell me that they arent going to pay climbers money for a groundy. We arent all knuckle dragging neanderthals you know!! I've worked with climbers who simply havent understood the basics of the ground side of rigging, cant see wires, couldnt plan their work if they tried, but with a little communication the job gets done. Instead of sitting there on a wet day reading the Sun, try going over some of the basics, teach each other knots and hitches, try to be a team instead of a couple of individuals, and groundies .... take an interest in your job.

WTF??????? there are plenty of regs regarding competancy of groundies when lowering, LAW in fact.

Can you name some for me. Just being lazy & not looking for my self. & I am thinking of advanced rigging tec's with more up to date equip such as the grcs ect, & the loads that they can impose on wood that may be unstable due to defects detected from reports done on such trees & not respected by a sound thinkin persons..This dose digress from my orig point of self tend, but hey what the heck it is a big part of what I wanted to say.

just not good at this type & put my point across stuff as I get my muickin wurdz fuddled:lol:

Unfortunately, it seems that some companies are willing to invest in the climbers skills, yet over-look the groundstaff. They just dont wish to spend the money, over the years I've had several tell me that they arent going to pay climbers money for a groundy. We arent all knuckle dragging neanderthals you know!! I've worked with climbers who simply havent understood the basics of the ground side of rigging, cant see wires, couldnt plan their work if they tried, but with a little communication the job gets done. Instead of sitting there on a wet day reading the Sun, try going over some of the basics, teach each other knots and hitches, try to be a team instead of a couple of individuals, and groundies .... take an interest in your job.

Cheers Andy. I have a vast interest in my job, hence the post.

I work with meany teams & have come across some who just don't! want to change..I am happy that you live in a world where all you come acrose are able to listen, understand & want to learn people..some people just don't give a f about the forces involved in lowering & skill of workin as a team with good comunication to people who want to take it in..again..nag to h2o...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Just caught up with this thread, and thought I'd put in a few word.

I am working with a guy who is A1+ groundy/climber/rigger, we work as a team, and so much so, that we are called out to do some really hairy tasks involving controlled lowering.

That said, I spent a few hours yesterday, self lowering. Only because it was faster for me to belay it with me, cut, then send it down to ground.

We got out a fearsome amount of lime top like this, and it worked a treat, not because groundy was inefficient, slow or not understanding the job, he was on the wood like a rash when it hit the ground, cleared off the rope and I was away again in seconds.

I have in 30 years climbing, never thought of groundys as neanderthal, they are what keeps me in the tree working, if they are trained properly, treated with respect, they work as a team with you, not against you.

You have only yourself (or boss) to thank for bad groundys.

Kind regards

French climber