Ancient Monument Clearance Thread

Matthew Arnold

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some of it is embedded heavily whilst others it is loose. like i said before i did consider sending someone round with a truck and stihl saw cutting all the wire off but with the high amount of trees to do im considering just putting a 13tonner on site with a set of shears and guilottine them off as low as i can.

that would be the easiest thing to do. We have a nice roman camp to clear. It is full of sitka and norway spruce trees which we will fell and put into suitable lengths for fence posts,etc. We also have a major bit of tidying to do on some very old ash and beech. One of the beech is riddled with Ganoderma and Inonotus hispsidus which is strange as i thought hispidus only grew on beech. The ash is gonna be a "natural" pollard. The tree split out a few years ago and the lower stems have died off.Hence the "natural" pollard. Hopefully we can get away with the boss climbing onto the remaining stub and cutting the limbs off.

Im a member of the Shaftesbury Tree group. I dont manage to get to every meeting because I often dont get home from work in time.

Its good to keep Local authorities, Tree surgeons and Developers in check a bit. Im sure we have all discussed controversial tree works in our local area but how many actualy do anything about it ?

They are also involved in lots of proactive projects. I helped plant a comunity orchard with them and they are setting up a comunity nursary growing trees of local provenance.

• 1 month later...

One of the 5 monuments i am working on this winter. It is called Nettlecombe Tout and is in the "sticks". 30-40 min drive from base to site depending on traffic n weather conditions. Mainly Blackthorn, Hawthorn, Spindle and Field Maple regen all to be brushcut and high stumps reduced. Planning on having massive fire there next week. Got some very fun off roading to do to get to the site.

nettlecombe tout work..doc

Been up on Nettlecombe Tout today. The first of 3 days of this winter (i'm only there for the one. LOL). Lots of lovely gorse, blackthorn, hawthorn and brambles with a little bit of elder thrown in there for good measure. Cracking weather and views all day. 3 massive fires and some great fun off roading getting to the site. Such a shame we had a blow out on the way home and no usable spare as that was flatter than a road kill. (The blow out wasn't caused by the fun we had getting off the site.)

003.jpg.b3101624818c22f50a419d7fcd71fdf3.jpg

002.jpg.e601a43169adf781db352e4f884b468a.jpg

001.jpg.31cffdd133a5691a00fd2cd0abba59ab.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Had a day at Spetisbury Rings today. The guys had a day yesterday up there making a steady start into the thorn. Got a massive fire going of which i posted pics. Cracking views even though the cloud base was low. Got another day tomorrow. Its quite fun but also tricky getting to the job site as the frost is just coming out of the ground. On the way home out of the field we were running on slicks as the mud is chalk-clay mix. Will get pics of the truck tomorrow with it running on slicks.

017.jpg.92e04f9cfc0d9b04536be9384156f8c8.jpg

016.jpg.9febad14fe227cc76aca8c5028f2c88b.jpg

015.jpg.8319835277918913a73cd7c0e318259d.jpg

014.jpg.2ff5296a7ed4e0868464220730bcf608.jpg

013.jpg.3bb8712fd3ec509872fdbdf5160b7abb.jpg

012.jpg.b8d69a92ae591d0c87a14e260ce1e5ba.jpg

011.jpg.d69a5d64210cb949fe001ee8e0bb7525.jpg

010.jpg.7fd0a62708911d2bd479c619ad6c1797.jpg

009.jpg.c011e6f9e0ffaf5a00109e8987b425ec.jpg