Best plan of action for this old brute.

Matthew Arnold

On a site we have recently taken over i did a very basic tree survey. I check from base to crown al the way around the tree (where possible). I know ihave put thtis pictures up but my colleagues would like a second opinion. The tree in question is a Quercus robur with a pair of large Inonotus dryadeus brackets at the base. It is within easily falling distance of a fairly busy residential road. The green space that borders the tree is a well used play area. It has a ditch that is approximately 20 years old (so not exactly old in comparison to the tree) running next to it. Each year the ditch fills with water and the small lane that is bordered by a line of trees floods also. We have had several tree offcicers out from all of the relevant local authorities and our head county council tree officer. Due to the proximity of the play area they have suggested thinning but we did the rubber mallet test where the fungi enters the tree and there appears to be a cavity inside. The butresses on the high side are much thicker and denser than those on the ditch side. Is this a sign that the tree is trying to keep itself upright? If so would balancing be appropriate or full removal? We have several old mature oaks on the site. The majority of them are in good order with maybe a bit of deadwooding and limb tidying here and there. We also have 3 large dead wood habitats all of which are standing and are used by bats and woodpeckers on a very regular basis. I have attached a couple of pictures of the fungi and the tree showing the proximity to the road and play area. And the die back in the crown.

030.jpg.1792f87222fb56850909aa07764c49ae.jpg

029.jpg.04f9b5f7a3afa560d631b8558494cd78.jpg

013.jpg.aba722a177a4c49d4a28bc62d629abd2.jpg

012.jpg.961a4ebc843e2d8ec1acdba771a5936f.jpg

011.jpg.b534d755c7f42b3f89ffc7d2547663dd.jpg

I'd be getting her resistograph tested or even consider a tomograph..

I wouldnt have thought there was any particular rush to fell the tree, it won't fall over over-night, buta crown thin and deadwood followed by regular monitoring, perhaps every 6 months will soon give you an indication as to the extent of the decay and how it is affecting the tree... if after a few follow up inspections the condition seems to worsen or the decay is more prevalent, then perhaps look to fell and replant, monolith or similar.

Ye. Hopefully it will keep everyone happy. It would open that section up. We plan on doing it on the oak on the other side of the road. It has the same problee but with a nice big split running from base to crown. We hope that if we pollard that one too it will be a nice bat habitat as there are signs of bats in the split. I shall try and get pictures of the split when the weather is a bit nicer. I will be checking the trees on our sites with defects on friday afternoon. Heavy rain and strong gusty winds don't mix.

The last time we had seriously strong gusts it split lots of forks in most of the mature trees. Not exactly top notch H +S but we borrowed a contractors Manitou Telehandler to attach the ropes to the branch n then pull em out with the tractor. The boss was all harnessed up when he went up in the bucket. The highest he went was 40 ft. Might have to do it again this week. We have just got rid of the answerphone messages ready for this week.