How much work do you have???

monkeypuzzle22

Hi Fellow arbtalkers,

I am simply throwing this out there..how much work do you guys actually have?I am aiming this question more at the Consultants out there as a pose to the tree climbers...

I have been "ticking over" for the last six weeks now and i am getting so fed up of it, especially when the majority of my 8 hour day consists trawling through such Arbtalk threads as 'My amazing day felling some amazing beech tree'...'Wow fungi fungi fungi' and 'Awesome trees and biomechanics'...all fantastic threads...jealous...yes i am and i'm not denying that!

See all these threads are wonderful but also very annoying when you envy the dam person posting who has lots of work (looking at HamaDryad in particular :biggrin::biggrin:)!!!If only i could start a 'Look at this Veteran Tree i preserved' or 'Photos of amazingly rare fungi' but i can't...i miss trees! Maybe i should photograph myself at my desk on Arbtalk...

Rant over...peace

Callum

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Fellow arbtalkers,

I am simply throwing this out there..how much work do you guys actually have?I am aiming this question more at the Consultants out there as a pose to the tree climbers...

I have been "ticking over" for the last six weeks now and i am getting so fed up of it, especially when the majority of my 8 hour day consists trawling through such Arbtalk threads as 'My amazing day felling some amazing beech tree'...'Wow fungi fungi fungi' and 'Awesome trees and biomechanics'...all fantastic threads...jealous...yes i am and i'm not denying that!

See all these threads are wonderful but also very annoying when you envy the dam person posting who has lots of work (looking at HamaDryad in particular :biggrin::biggrin:)!!!If only i could start a 'Look at this Veteran Tree i preserved' or 'Photos of amazingly rare fungi' but i can't...i miss trees! Maybe i should photograph myself at my desk on Arbtalk...

Rant over...peace

Callum

I would suggest you should get up from your desk, get out and find some more contracts and more clients as there is plenty of work about if you look for it in the right places!

the majority of my 8 hour day consists trawling through such Arbtalk threads as...

Be careful what you post.

I wouldn't be happy to come across this if I was your boss.

I'd suggest that if RPS are not keeping you busy it would be a good time to catch up on your reading and other CPD. This will put you in a much better position once you start to get busy again.

By the way, I didn't know RPS had in house arb consultants - I know they have used independant consultants for quite a few jobs.

I could not help replying to this and am glad to see that I am not the only one thinking the same thing.

I am also a private consultant and although things appear a little quiet at present part of my job is to get new work for my company, I would have thought it was also part of yours.

I hope your boss does not come across your post!

Well thanks for the advice...and no i wouldn't be happy either but there is only so much CPD you can do and when you are relatively new to Arboriculture it can be difficult to just find work or even begin to know where to look.

Arbtalk is CPD as many of the people on here are working professionals. Roseyweb, you can get on the approved contractor list if you are CHAS/Construction Line certified??

Thanks anyway...

Hi Callum,

I expect as large a company as RPS has a team dedicated to procurement, and marketing material available for you to send to prospective clients such as large scale land owners, architects, developers and the like. Perhaps you should ask your team for some help in developing ideas to promote the company and then send some stuff out and follow it up.

I sincerely hope this helps. Good luck.

Jelous of who!

you muppet, get off your backside and capitalise on the job YOU have, arbtalk IS NOT CPD!

Oh, thats right .... im getting it now.......

Listen, we all get bored and disspondant, the fact is i spend 99% of my WORK time doing dull boring mundane tasks and being bitched at because Im an employee, thats WORK! most of what I do on here is via MY TIME, MY EFFORT, MY OWN learning etc etc etc, the perfect job does not exist, and arb only pays the VERY select few who have through years and years and years of dedication and effort and great financial burden proved themselves to be what they aspired to be.

You HAD a job I would have gladly swapped places for, and by golly i would have worked my bleeding socks of to KEEP the role.

OK Hama...no need to state how you would have worked your socks off....its not like i posted this thread because i'm lazy...if there is very little work to keep a team of 6 busy then what can you do! My main role at RPS was to survey trees on HCA land, if HCA are not asking for this to be done then that is 90% of my work load is gone...

Its easy to sit there and state how you would swap jobs for this kinda work, well as you have told me...do it then. It was an ok job but not stimulating enough for people like you and me who want to learn and do new things...surveying street trees is nice work, but for 7 months without doing anything else..?

This is not the reason for the thread anyway, i am prepared to do the crap to get the cream...but its hard to stay motivated when you have nothing productive to do.

Cheers for the rant Hama!!!!!! All the same, doesn't matter now so...Oh an 'VERY few' nice touch