firewood's time and motion study

firewood

Not sure on the original question but it takes me (plus 1) 2 hours to cut, split using a tractor powered splitter and load 1 van load of firewood, factor in 30 minutes to deliver and it means I am working at the same £ rate as when doing tree work

so that works out at 4 man hours per load. the same as me.

would it take you longer than 4 hours if you were working alone?

I'm trying to work out if I can produce more per man hour if i have someone working with me. That is, can I more than double production by adding an extra pair of hands?

It took me on my own 4 1/2 days to cut to size with a chainsaw, split with a splitter on the back of a tractor, and stack in 15' block head high. However this was forest grown timber, so straight with few branches.

I would upload some photos but my phone has decided that it can not talk to the computer

How many m3 of split logs did you have at the end of the 4 1/2 days? (a day being 8 hours?)

If only i could be that quick!!

That is really going some.

Sorry, I didn't read your first post quite clearly.

I didn't read the 12' high stack bit and that some of the rings were up to 3' diameter.

If all rings were cut to log length and were of a size you could pick up by yourself and put on the splitter, say up to 2' diameter, so you were just splitting, and then chucking into a container, then 1 m3 per hour worked is do-able with a single blade splitter, IME.

This is hours worked on the splitter, not taking account of rest breaks or whatever.

so that works out at 4 man hours per load. the same as me.

would it take you longer than 4 hours if you were working alone?

I'm trying to work out if I can produce more per man hour if i have someone working with me. That is, can I more than double production by adding an extra pair of hands?

Whether you would benefit from another body depends on how much work you have on and how much your time means to you. Are you turning work away because you can't keep up? Would you rather do a load in 2 hours, make £20 less but have more time at home?

There is only so much money you can make working sensible hours on your own