AA Conference 2010 - an overview

Amelanchier

No..I know. Thats fine. I didnt want to get into an AA bashing tho' it's of course their own business what they chose to do with material that is of interest to the industry at large. I think it's a shame that it is unavailable.

Tony's summary will do and my thanks to him for posting BTW . It is not unappreciated!

Hi Bundle,

The thinking behind it is that the research papers etc. are only made directly available to those who attended the conference. They are very likely however to be made available to a wider viewing audience via future 'Arb Journals'.

Obvioulsy that then raises the issue that you have to be an AA member to access them, but that seems reasonable to me as the 'Arb Journal' is one of the major benefits of membership and becoming an AA member would benefit the industry at large, i.e. a bigger membership = a bigger voice and greater resource available.

Cheers..

Paul

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see where your coming from, but if there was a struggling arb without a penny, who was always looking for info, and always finding that info costly, info worth having i mean.

There are only so many things we can do finacialy, and the arb association should make information that would benifit personal development freely avaliable IMO

I would suggest that the AA does make the most important aspects of current research available. I don't think you can reasonably expect them to provide a detailed service without cost. Incidentally, are you guys members?

I have been a member on and off (as money was tight) for the last 10 years.

Currently no:blushing:

I would only be suggesting that for instance, old info be freely avaliable, after all, its the most recent, within the last twelve months thats financial gain worthy.

But im only saying this because i am desperate for learning and am running out of resources to continue.:thumbdown:

Im talking utter rhubarb and fustrated at my current inability to attend such events and gain from them.

However, i bet even if I could afford it, there is no option to purchase the conference information in a booklet form like those offered by TEP?

The thinking behind it is that the research papers etc. are only made directly available to those who attended the conference. They are very likely however to be made available to a wider viewing audience via future 'Arb Journals'.

Obvioulsy that then raises the issue that you have to be an AA member to access them, but that seems reasonable to me as the 'Arb Journal' is one of the major benefits of membership and becoming an AA member would benefit the industry at large, i.e. a bigger membership = a bigger voice and greater resource available.

Hi Paul

Arboriculture & Urban Forestry and many other journals with articles relevant to our profession allow searches for articles, in fact Arboriculture & Urban Forestry allow free viewing of articles a couple of years old. This is a great source of free info and I think that the AA’s Arboricultural Journal would benefit from a similar method (i.e. free to everyone but only members having access to recent articles?). I know the old AA website had abstracts but these have now gone.

As far as I’m aware the only way to find an Arb Journal article on the web is by knowing the article title first (no way to search keyword, subject, author etc. like on other journal websites), I can’t even find abstracts from the Arb Journal – only a title on British Library Direct. I'm sure they must be out there somewhere but they are hard for me to find.

Are there any plans to make available online the many great papers that have been published in past Arb Journals, which could benefit everyone?:thumbup1:

Thanks for posting William. You have made a good point and described the issue as I see it, only in much clearer terms.

There isn't really much excuse is there?

To suggest publication is a means of "luring" membership is naive and a little bit insulting Paul !

A smart allic somewhere down the line once said..." If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem"

Hi Paul

Arboriculture & Urban Forestry and many other journals with articles relevant to our profession allow searches for articles, in fact Arboriculture & Urban Forestry allow free viewing of articles a couple of years old. This is a great source of free info and I think that the AA’s Arboricultural Journal would benefit from a similar method (i.e. free to everyone but only members having access to recent articles?). I know the old AA website had abstracts but these have now gone.

As far as I’m aware the only way to find an Arb Journal article on the web is by knowing the article title first (no way to search keyword, subject, author etc. like on other journal websites), I can’t even find abstracts from the Arb Journal – only a title on British Library Direct. I'm sure they must be out there somewhere but they are hard for me to find.

Are there any plans to make available online the many great papers that have been published in past Arb Journals, which could benefit everyone?:thumbup1:

Some very good ideas there!

Hold up.

Thanks for posting William. You have made a good point and described the issue as I see it, only in much clearer terms.

As I see it - he's made a different point to yours. He's suggesting (amongst other good ideas) that older information is made available. You were referring to the 2010 conference material. Perhaps you've changed your mind? Or perhaps this bandwagon looks better? :001_tt2:

There isn't really much excuse is there?

Well there is an excuse - it takes time and effort and therefore money to do it. Money which comes from the membership. Essentially you want me to pay for your benefit?

To suggest publication is a means of "luring" membership is naive and a little bit insulting Paul !

Paul can obviously speak for himself, but I think we can all see that isn't anywhere close to what he said.:confused1:

A smart allic somewhere down the line once said..." If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem"

So presumably as we're not exactly drowning in swathes of your own revolutionary, progressive 'solutions' - that would position you firmly within the 'problem' sector? :D

However, i bet even if I could afford it, there is no option to purchase the conference information in a booklet form like those offered by TEP?

I can't recall (so help me out) - what is the format of the booklet? Is it mainly text? I think that would be something that would have to be planned at the start, as there is quite a lot of variability in the visual content of the speakers presentations. I.e., some have a lot of text present and some simply have explanatory images.

I have replied within the text....

Hold up.

As I see it - he's made a different point to yours. He's suggesting (amongst other good ideas) that older information is made available. You were referring to the 2010 conference material. Perhaps you've changed your mind? Or perhaps this bandwagon looks better?

I d like to think I am smart enough to understand what he said (william) and yes, quick enough to move in support of comments with more focus and purpose than the comment I made...nothing about band wagons...you putting words in my mouth In fact i'd only said that it was a shame..nothing more....

Well there is an excuse - it takes time and effort and therefore money to do it. Money which comes from the membership. Essentially you want me to pay for your benefit?

The research is not property of the AA is it? If it is, there is even less excuse to not make information available to the industry at large and Id have to ask..."What point the AA ?"

Paul can obviously speak for himself, but I think we can all see that isn't anywhere close to what he said.

I certainly wasn't being told anything I didn't already know ..and you do the discussion a disservice by trying to thwart inclusion of more than the 2010 summary frankly! :001_tongue:

So presumably as we're not exactly drowning in swathes of your own revolutionary, progressive 'solutions' - that would position you firmly within the 'problem' sector? :D

I do not see why the Arb Joiurnal cannot allow access to articles once they have passed their sell by date....This is badly expressed I know, but Williams point is well made...AA take note please....

As for being "problem sector" I can't be bothered to argue with you...you're probably right. :001_tt2:

Thank you for your erudite and personal insight into my character....