fumes

Tom2020

Been working with a mix of saws over the last few days Good m8 of mine lent me his ms170 as i had some light work to do and ive been using s stihl farm boss saw.

Using the 170 i have no problems But when i have had to use the Farm boss saw i feel like crap after using it for less then an hour The mix is right but there the smell of burning coming out of the exhausts and a darkish blue smoke and its also coming out of the brake aswell even when the break is off Any idea what may be causing it or what i could do

Thanks

Tom

stripped the exhaust of the farm boss nothing came out of it The last mix was about a month ago and it was done correctly.While i have been running it today it smells alot richer then other saws i have used and more of an oily smell then a petrol smell coming from it

Taken the brake apart look thru it all fine apart from that bloody spring spent a good 20mins getting that back on

Geoff what do u mean she will go big style :/

is the air filter clear? a blocked air filter means less air going in with the same amount of fuel, thats a rich mix to breathe in, blast it out with airline from inside with your eyes shut or wearing goggles.. might be worth cleaning the excess gunk off the plug too before you re-start it, wire brush and hold it in pliers over a flame.. Ed.

stripped the exhaust of the farm boss nothing came out of it The last mix was about a month ago and it was done correctly.While i have been running it today it smells alot richer then other saws i have used and more of an oily smell then a petrol smell coming from it

Taken the brake apart look thru it all fine apart from that bloody spring spent a good 20mins getting that back on

Geoff what do u mean she will go big style :/

Sounds like its getting too hot or brake binding maybe,concerned it may sieze or burn out brake assembly,best get it fixed up to prevent potential damage.

Hope you find the problem.:001_smile:

• 2 weeks later...

The problem is all saws produce CO which is deadly and in the pure form has no smell, OK faulty motors/fires will produce more CO, but all CO fumes which damage our red blood cells, and need to die off and be replaced which can take months.

Fumes tend to make me sick so when i started using saws say 12 yrs ago I use a respirator mask, I use a 3M 4279 from Farnell about £20 and lasts say a year. Ok I look like Dark Vader but even after a big saw session with little air flow I feel fresh and no headaches.

I checked up with the HSE years ago about fumes and power tools and they had no info. So I want to protect my health long term so wear a mask under my helmet no probs.

glad you have a mask Tom, I'm easily upset by fumes, goes back to a kid in the 50's Parrifin heaters with no windows open had flu symptoms all winter - now know it was carbon monoxide. I find if you are working in a breeze it's ok but in a dence area/ditch fumes can build up. 3 guys working in a bank vault locally with a small generator running nearly died a while ago. My lad has a ms170 and if left full, some petrol evaporates leaving oil, so smokes alot for a while. I checked myself on a CO monitor and found I had the same CO level as a smoker after a saw session - weeks later, bit worrying.