Santander

LancsMike

Here's a simple fact

My Santander Individual Savings Account (ISA) Statement

Balance brought forward March 2009 £12,689.51

Interest £12.69

Balance at Close March 2010 £12702.20

Yes, that is correct, an interest rate of 0.001% on their flagship savings account. Has anyone seen this number plastered all over their shop window?

It is all headline rates to attract new money but once it is in the coffers and your back is turned... and then they wonder why Joe public is baying for their blood. Scum.

As they don't put the rate on the statement you have to work it out for yourself so if anyone else has a Santander ISA over one year old they should check the rate and really kick off if they find a similar stunt has been pulled.

Thats disgusting behaviour on their part, but it seems to be the case with these sorry lot. As said when I first signed up I wasn't told there'd be any trouble with transferring from Santander to an external bank, but when I want to the '' system is down and they dont know when itll be back up ''

With this though I just had a quick gander on the FSA Website, interesting snippet here I'm going to use tomorrow when I get the rest of my cash out [ If they cut up funny and try to stonewall me ]

Firms advertising financial products or services must make sure their promotions are fair, clear and do not mislead you. Promotions can be:

* adverts in the media (eg radio, press, television);

* direct mail sent to your home;

* leaflets or posters;

* letters to customers;

* shop window advertising;

* telephone calls;

* teletext;

* emails; and

* websites.

If we find that an advert is misleading we may do any of the following:

* ask the firm to change the advert;

* ask the firm to withdraw it;

* ask the firm to write to customers who may have been misled and compensate them if they’ve lost money as a result;

* warn the firm; or

* fine the firm.

So on that basis Mark, you're well within your rights to lodge a complaint and maybe even get reimbursed for what Santander did with your money along with deliberately misleading you.

Hope that helps mate.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a simple fact

My Santander Individual Savings Account (ISA) Statement

Balance brought forward March 2009 £12,689.51

Interest £12.69

Balance at Close March 2010 £12702.20

Yes, that is correct, an interest rate of 0.001% on their flagship savings account. Has anyone seen this number plastered all over their shop window?

It is all headline rates to attract new money but once it is in the coffers and your back is turned... and then they wonder why Joe public is baying for their blood. Scum.

As they don't put the rate on the statement you have to work it out for yourself so if anyone else has a Santander ISA over one year old they should check the rate and really kick off if they find a similar stunt has been pulled.

Sadly, my experience has been that all the high street banks behave in this way as do pension and insurance companies.

The only way that will change is if people take their business elsewhere and not just to another bank.

I think future lies with peer to peer lending (see here for an example: Low rate loans - fair borrowing - from Zopa.com ) worth thinking about the next time you need finance for kit or have cash to deposit/lend.

The best part is that it cuts out the banks altogether

• 2 weeks later...

A few weeks ago I paid some cheques in and the cashier accidentally paid them into someone elses account. If I hadn't checked my statements I would now be down by £560...:thumbdown: However after I'd pointed it out to them they were quick on the ball and got it sorted with loads of communication from there part so I knew what was going on.

This came today.........cheers Santander.....:thumbup1:

002.jpg.5a8f3ab156c9bbfe0b8963666d9a58f6.jpg

001.jpg.d851b68c589d5c97c7c949a10968994b.jpg

A few weeks ago I paid some cheques in and the cashier accidentally paid them into someone elses account. If I hadn't checked my statements I would now be down by £560...:thumbdown: However after I'd pointed it out to them they were quick on the ball and got it sorted with loads of communication from there part so I knew what was going on.

This came today.........cheers Santander.....:thumbup1:

Only one????? .... Natwest sent me a case when they made a cock up.