Council work..residents..how much do you say?

cerneARB

We often get folk approach us, with the classic "why are you felling that tree" when we are just doing a crown lift, thin etc so we always try and explain the reasons why we are doing the work. I suppose our responses are quite vague, but usually our answers to there questions are good enough....

Think my problem is i like to educate pepole about trees and i can gabble about them. we get this too,why are you felling it when were just crown lifting it to 3 meters ecte ecte.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Think my problem is i like to educate pepole about trees and i can gabble about them. we get this too,why are you felling it when were just crown lifting it to 3 meters ecte ecte.

It's GOOD that people are concerned about what is happening to their local trees. It's unfortunate that you sometimes get the flack, regardless of the what you are actually doing to the tree and the fact that you didn't specify the work.

It's GOOD that people are concerned about what is happening to their local trees. It's unfortunate that you sometimes get the flack, regardless of the what you are actually doing to the tree and the fact that you didn't specify the work.

So true, its come to the point now within our authority that the TO has to notify local residents, and cllrs to what work we are carrying out, thus giving residents the chance to voice any concerns they may have.

i like the idea pepole care about trees, but i find most of them just complain about them,its stopping there sky reception,they cant get a good tv reception...moan...moan.

Thats why i talk to them to give them the benifts of having them.

totaly agree, we get the same all the time. education is the key, even if you have to refer them to the TO

Firstly I never lie to people or missdirect them and have no time for anyone who does.

I just tell them what we are doing and why. Although they get a quick version unless I have a bit of time and don't mind going into detail. The last you wasn't to do ime its start to piss the local residents off when you have to work in the area.

Besides they could be a customer of yours one day.:thumbup1:

Although it all depends on the situation they ask you in, its not usually a good idea to explain yourself when your swinging limbs out over the road etc7

You can get the odd nutter but in those circumstances no matter what you say will help.

i wouldnt be too concerned with telling them what we were doing to a tree and why. whats more important, is you DONT give them advise on other trees they might ask about, as you can be sure they will call up the council with the old 'the tree surgeon told me' line.....and yes, its happened to me and i learnt from it.

i like the idea pepole care about trees, but i find most of them just complain about them,its stopping there sky reception,they cant get a good tv reception...moan...moan.

Thats why i talk to them to give them the benifts of having them.

Totally understand what you mean about trying to educate people abit but we NEED people to complain moan and get bothered by trees or 99% of us would be out of a job!

As a tenant, if a contractor wishes to work on any land I rent, I expect due respect from them, and in return they receive tea and biccies. I want to know why they are doing any work, and ensure it is left in a clean and tidy manner.

As a tree worker, I will answer any queries with tact and diplomacy, keep it as short as possible without being abrupt or rude. If someone is rude or generally obnoxious, I politely tell them that I'm busy, and give them a contact number to call with their queries.