saw engine recondition

travis

It can easily be done at home just depends on what tools you have to hand (dont need that many) and what mechanical knowledge you have.

As for the cost could be say less than £20 for some piston rings and base gasket or well over a £100 if you need a piston kit and cylinder, if the crank is knackered as well its probably not worth rebuilding though.

Those are very rough prices for stihl parts, copied parts will be alot cheaper but I cant comment on the quality.

This link should allow you do get a copy of the workshop manual as per your PM.

If its doesnt work let me know and I'll try and find another link somewhere.:thumbup1:

Edited by Mesterh
Scrap that link will find another.

I have done loades, nothing hard about it as long as you know the basics about engines and mechanics. the best place is ebay for non genuine parts and yes there just as good at a fraction of the price.

Sounds good:thumbup1: especially if its an oldish saw that might otherwise be stripped for parts, put to one side, never to see daylight again then thrown away after 10 years without using a single spare.:laugh1::blushing:

Try this link.

Download 034 036 036QS.pdf for free on uploading.com

mesterh:

i tried the link and couldn't find the download any where on my machine.

very suspicious website.

any how, it sounds straight forward. leave it to someone else hahaha

its not my saw, so i might give it back to them with the bad news.

thanks

I have done loades, nothing hard about it as long as you know the basics about engines and mechanics. the best place is ebay for non genuine parts and yes there just as good at a fraction of the price.

I have to knackered piston 357xp's in the garage, I have ordered one pot and piston kit from my local dealer at 250£ + vat and one of ebay for 83£ I'm gonna see what the difference is and kick my self if the ebay one is just as good.

I probably should of read this thread before buying the correct husky one and save my self £150

mesterh:

i tried the link and couldn't find the download any where on my machine.

very suspicious website.

any how, it sounds straight forward. leave it to someone else hahaha

its not my saw, so i might give it back to them with the bad news.

thanks

I dunno why.

Web site is fine as long as you click on the free download then wait the 60 seconds otherwise they will start asking you to pay for a premium account etc.

I've just downloaded it then scanned it and it came back clean.

If its on your pc somewhere try searching for the file 034_036_036QS.pdf, but if youve given it back then dont bother.:laugh1:

Most "knackered" two strokes will have a worn or scuffed piston. Some may have bore damage. A few might have tired bearings, and a tiny fraction will have mullered cases or similar. I think the design life of a Stihl "pro" saw is 2500 operational hours - most have done nothing like this before the piston expires because of bad fuel, bad filtration or bad tuning.

So there is a very high chance that all you need is a piston and rings. A decent aftermarket (Episan and Meteor come to mind) is a good choice - there is a guy in Greece on eBay who sells these, and I've used him with no problem. He also sells Caber rings, which are top notch. You could get the average worn saw back on the road for about £40 if all it needs is a piston.

What is the saw and what are the symptoms? Take the exhaust off and look at the condition of the piston - this will tell you a lot. How is the compression? Simple test: pick the saw up by the starter. If it doesn't turn over, compression is OK. If the starter pulls out and the saw stays on the ground...it is toast.