The Fung Hunters

David Humphries

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

did ya take it for the pot ?

David,

Do you intend Toby to get sick :blushing::thumbdown: ??? Macrolepiota bohemica (= M. rachodes var. hortensis), which is not much different from or identical with M. rachodes s.s., is on the warning list, because it can cause stomac pain and indigestion problems.

David,

Do you intend Toby to get sick :blushing::thumbdown: ??? Macrolepiota bohemica (= M. rachodes var. hortensis), which is not much different from or identical with M. rachodes s.s., is on the warning list, because it can cause stomac pain and indigestion problems.

so this isnt a straight Rhacodes then Gerrit? heres some more images that may help, you dont surprise me as i was feeling its oddness, look at the underdeveloped one here.

And thank you as always for your input, its priceless as ever.:thumbup:

59765eda0c63b_WW121111318.jpg.99d1fef5f5e8ecc36276d77cffd76efb.jpg

59765eda0f186_WW121111317.jpg.a8d288d875757968aaee79a94264146e.jpg

59765eda118eb_WW121111315.jpg.22068ecbeda8a44cc16abfaf73ebdbe4.jpg

59765eda144f4_WW121111316.jpg.ba522e2b2931fa83885e01005c27dbe5.jpg

59765eda1881f_WW121111319.jpg.fab7b480ec915ff5faf389eae8296920.jpg

David,

Gerrit,

based on Tonys Id (not mine) I looked at Roger Phillips description of edibility for the species suggested, which states it as 'Choice'

I don't make a habit of going around giving id's on Fungi edibilty for people.

Gerrit,

based on Tonys Id (not mine) I looked at Roger Phillips description of edibility for the species suggested, which states it as 'Choice'

I don't make a habit of going around giving id's on Fungi edibilty for people.

I am certain Gerrits just trying to highlight the potential errors we can all make, even at our levels david, and his right to do so, I had actualy considered having this one:blushing:

on the plus side a new record!:biggrin:

1. based on Tonys Id (not mine) I looked at Roger Phillips description of edibility for the species suggested, which states it as 'Choice'

2. I don't make a habit of going around giving id's on Fungi edibilty for people.

David,

1. In the Dutch 1981 edition of Phillips' Mushrooms and other fungi of Great Britain and Europe, all information on edibility or toxicity of fungi, including Macrolepiota species, is left out.

So does Phillips also depict and describe M. bohemica or M. rachodes var. hortensis and M. (rachodes var.) olivieri in his latest English edition and if so, what does he say about their edibility as compared to their look-a-like (or the identical) M. rachodes ?

2. Of course you don't, I just warned for the risks of eating reddish orange bruising Macrolepiota rachodes s.l., including M. bohemica (= M. rhachodes var. hortensis), which in my opinion and some other authors (E. Vellinga, Flora Agaricina Neerlandica, Volume 5, page 72), is identical to M. rachodes s.s.

Last year, some German Eifel friends were sick for two days after eating Macrolepiota rachodes s.l.

so this isnt a straight Rhacodes ? heres some more images that may help, you dont surprise me as i was feeling its oddness, look at the underdeveloped one here.

From the pictures alone, I can't decide whether it's M. rachodes s.s., M. bohemica (if it does exist) or M. olivieri, which also is a candidate if your Shaggy Parasol was found in a coniferous forest.

And after I had a second look at your last pictures, I even doubt it's M. rachodes, because the stipe has the characteristics of M. procera, and M. rachodes doesn't get that big, so did it turn reddish orange when bruised ?

Edited by Fungus

David,

1. In the Dutch 1981 edition of Phillips' Mushrooms and other fungi of Great Britain and Europe, all information on edibility or toxicity of fungi, including Macrolepiota species, is left out.

So does Phillips also depict and describe M. bohemica or M. rachodes var. hortensis and M. (rachodes var.) olivieri in his latest English edition and if so, what does he say about their edibility as compared to their look-a-like (or the identical) M. rachodes ?

2. Of course you don't, I just warned for the risks of eating reddish orange bruising Macrolepiota rachodes s.l., including M. bohemica (= M. rhachodes var. hortensis), which in my opinion and some other authors (E. Vellinga, Flora Agaricina Neerlandica, Volume 5, page 72), is identical to M. rachodes s.s.

Last year, some German Eifel friends were sick for two days after eating Macrolepiota rachodes s.l.

I was aware that M rhacodes could cause problems for SOME individuals and that the field parasol was the "choice" one, i dont know where i got it from.

Honey fungi are consumed in spain and popular, but also cause upset to SOME, this is the case with many fungi i feel.

• 2 weeks later...