Cameraria ohridella

We used to spray for these little blighters in Austria and Germany about 10 years ago. The lads still are i think but not as common now as the chemicals we used worked but only if you got them at the exact right time and didn't seem to make much effect as we still did it the following years.

Dimilin seems to banned from use in most countries except Austria. A good month of serious overtime that was, we litterally sprayed thousands of Aesculus across the whole country.

Good giggle after a visit to the Cheq border for chaep shnapps!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

Great pictures!!! You taking up wildlife photography on the sly?? We've got it too and on one poor tree all the lower leaves are completely brown, not just their tunnels, there were so many in the leaves they were completely mullered (very technical term!)

Very intersted to hear what your moth expert has to say about the one in the last photo.

Forest research were stumped. :confused1:

If you get a positive id, post back the result here.

David :ciao:

• 1 month later...

Whist surveying around Horse Chestnut today, I was became engulfed in clouds of newly hatched Cameraria. Up me hooter, in me ear, blinkin everywhere. :mad1:

By my reckoning this is at least the third overlapping generation so far this year.

According to the FC, we can get between 3 and 5 generations in a year.

Out of interest, were any of you guys on or around HC today, and if so did were you amidst any explosions.

I wonder if there are any similarities nation wide with regard to hatching times, is it just random or does the countrywide mean average temperature have a bearing?

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/Horsechestnut.pdf/$FILE/Horsechestnut.pdf

Yep. Quite a few about today - ran though clouds of the little suckers on my usual route.

NB They don't taste good.

I was thinking boom/bust pred/prey cycles?? Lotka–Volterra equations?

Though they aren't supposed to have natural predators over here??

Maybe just natural phenomena??? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_cycle

Though they aren't supposed to have natural predators over here??

QUOTE]

I'm recalling from somewhere deep inside me old bonce, that there is a possibility that ants are starting to predate on the larval stage, I think that mortality rates are affected, dependant on the timing of predation and the maturity of the leaves.

Can't remember where this info is from, one of the journals i guess.

Mortality rates don't seem to be changing in my neck of the woods this year, as infection appears to be as prevelent.

Hi monkeyd,

Im impressed with the quality of the pictures! Surelly its not that crappy little thing, that I tried to use for the moths. Nothing near as good as those!

Jack

Tiago, you might wan't to use the super close up button next time. :sneaky2:

And the little brown fella in the middle of the Black Arches in your photo, is quite probably a male Gypsy moth btw.

I'm just going to let FC know the location

For Information

http://www.defra.gov.uk/planth/pestnote/2006/gypsymoth.pdf

P8040004.jpg.94639a73a3f44c9e57f33e2427350e20.jpg