another whats the fungi thread

Charlieh

I have come across this today on my travels, its really impressive about 18" across at the widest part just interested to know what it is really, it caught my eye from quite a distance away, the tree is right on the river bank

cheers

Charlie

3.jpg.49f8c6db179fb7de0777d12ba7ccb7c3.jpg

2.jpg.dc3066a98259ef7d5933f9d74dba7e76.jpg

1.jpg.50de658cd0a0a0416bbbb4d50b80fbe6.jpg

Is it Polyporus squamosus? (dryads saddle)

its amazing how useless the internet is when it comes to things like ID guides, I think i may have to buy a decent guide, also when we have a confirmed id i will get the thread renamed so there arent so many threads called "whats the fungi",

thats the site that made me think it was P. squamosus.

some of the other websites have really naff pictures and i supposed the fungi can vary quite drastically.

i assume the tree has become susceptable to this due to the roots being submerged and partially washed out? as is evident in the 1st pic there isnt a great deal left under the main trunk, I suspect this may be a candidate for large woody debris in the river.