New book (advanced heads up) - Managing Native Broadleaved Woodland

Available soon from FC Via tsoshop.co.uk

Managing Native Broadleaved Woodland

Author:Forestry Commission - Ralph Harmer, Gary Kerr and Richard Thompson

Publisher:TSO (The Stationery Office)

Native woodlands occupy an important place in both our countryside and cultural heritage. They continue to provide timber and wood but nowadays are often equally valued as habitats for wildlife and areas for recreation. The aim of 'Managing Native Broadleaved Woodland' is to provide advice that will help managers understand and manage their woodland.

Unique combinations of site factors and management history have created woodlands of widely differing character. For example, native broadleaved woodland may be ancient and semi-natural, or recent and planted. It may be composed of high forest, coppice or wood pasture and comprise native species or those such as sweet chestnut which have become accepted as typical woodland species in some parts of the country. Woodland types differ widely across Britain, from the lowland yew and beechwoods of the chalk downlands of southern England to the treeline woodlands and Atlantic hazelwoods of the north and west Highlands of Scotland.

Key features:

•A wide variety of subjects are included in this handbook, from use of grazing animals, identification of woodland communities and management for nature conservation, to uneven aged silviculture, vegetation management and management planning.

•The background and principles of each topic are explained and case studies are used throughout.

•Interactions between inherent characteristics of the site and historic management are also considered in relation to future management options.

The handbook also includes answers to questions that managers should be asking about their woodlands when different management styles are adopted depending on woodland ownership, location, objectives and characteristics.

the above quote is shamlessly cut and pasted from TSO's website

looks like a very very useful book to have especially if doing work on broadleaved regen or restoration work using FC grants, its 508 pages, £30 to buy and is published date is 23rd September 2010 (i have mine on advanced order :blushing: i will provide feedback when it arrives)

• 1 month later...

just got mine, had been delivered to a neighbours yesterday,

first flick through this looks like a really good reference manual covering most topics in one book that are normally only found when using several books, decent case studies, well worth the £30 to have on the shelf. Not sure if it goes into enough technical detail but i will decide once i have read a bit more.

• 3 weeks later...

I've read the first 100 or so pages now and I'm very impressed with it as a comprehensive 'basic' guide. Well laid out - one thing that irritates me in books and magazines is 'boxes' where you have to break off from the text to read the 'more detail' in the boxes. In this book they're all in the right place so far. Plenty of useful references at the ends of the chapters if you want more too.

Chris.