self employed

English-arb

Going self employed was the best thing I have ever done and I have never looked back . I was employed for years in the same old boring jobs . now I make my own future and get the proceeds for it . There is never a dull moment when you are self employed it keeps you on your toes .

You have to be very proactive in your approach constantly looking for new opportunities that will open new doors or create repeat business .Its a completely different mindset to being employed with a regular job and salary. you will work harder by far being self employed as its your bread and butter .

If you are a very positive person with a drive to succeed and prepared to work hard then the self employment is a great way forward in your chosen profession .

Don't just limit yourself just to climbing only somtimes grounding can get you extra days and then turn into climbing later . you will be amazed at how much more money you can make just by doing the other stuff too. In a day I can make the same money as a good climber just doing hedge trimming and strimming and cutting the grass ,My job for today was cutting down overturned trees that had sat there in there up turned state for over 20 years. my work is really varied so its nice.

I wish you all the best

and good luck

Littletree:thumbup:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok i hear what your all saying. im just trying to find a ball park figure, perhaps it might be easier to ask what is the amount you would think "no way am i going to pay that for a climber" or a minimum where perhaps you be thinking "well he must be brand new". I know its a difficult question to ask but i was thinking for a competant climber who has a couple years under his belt then £90-£100 a day is reasonable because ive seen older threads on here where new climbers that want to be self employed ask a similar question and people have given advice that they should charge around £75 a day roughtly.

wondered what everyone else thought.

Hmm, i think the main question is how well are you networked in your area? you say you have a couple of years climbing then you should know a few companies, why not give them a call and see how the land lays... If that seems a no go then stay employed imo. As for experience i will only hire climbers that other companies i know have used and said they are good enough not to cost you in time (as mark has pointed out already). Its a hard call that only you can decide as your the one thinking about it. None of us know really how much work is your way, there maybe tonnes or naff all.

You could offer a trail days climbing at £75 i think that would get you some try-out days.

Anyway best of luck if you do go for it and say goodbye to weekends, bank holidays, paid holiday, sick pay, and evenings.

From the subby climbers I have met there pay ranges from 80 to 100 for self employed for good climbers

Sometimes a good way round it is if you think the company is going to use you a fair bit ,is suggest to the company that you do a trial day for them and then negotiate a day rate when you have finished the day. they and you will feel less pressured and you can show them how good you are that way you its lightly you will end up with a bit more if they have liked what you had done and met or exceeded there expectations of you .

. If your trial day does not go well and you or they are not happy then you have only lost a day and you can move on .

All the best Littletree:thumbup:

Whenever i get a guy in on bigger jobs i expect to pay between £100 and £120 a day with ropes,saws (020, 260 and 361) and harness. As has been said rigging is more and he also has bigger saws which i think he charges at £20 a day. He's a great climber so if jobs are priced properly it's easy money for me as i don't have to work so hard!!!:thumbup:. He used to provide a van and a chipper if needed also at extra cost but has knocked that on the head now.

I do the odd bit of chainsaw, hedge and brush stuff for my brother who does landscaping and gardening, handy for me and an easy expense for my brother, the main thing for him the customer is happy, repeat custom for both and a good name as well, and ALL above board . good money if you get your costs and pricing right

another thing which i have wondered about is how long has it taken some people when starting a new company (wether thats contract climber or starting a new tree surgery business) to get into a position where they start to live off it. That point between employed and self employed. Did you gamble and through lots of money into advertisement? cheers guys

another thing which i have wondered about is how long has it taken some people when starting a new company (wether thats contract climber or starting a new tree surgery business) to get into a position where they start to live off it. That point between employed and self employed. Did you gamble and through lots of money into advertisement? cheers guys

Depends on where you are tbh, networking, avaliabiltiy of work, competiton in the area, what kind of advertising is avaliable. tooo many variables to say. I take a very low wage from my buisness just enough to pay bills and put food on the table. Not even close to what i earned as a employed person.:thumbup1:

ian flatters - is it better sacrifice to have a low wage in order to be your own boss, and is the reason why this is if you dont mind me asking because the equipment is expensive and they need paying off?

To everyone else, would you prefer to just pay the bills but get to be your wn boss or stay employed?