advice for the (mature) beginner

fowler

Well that's pretty encouraging - at least I'm not the only old boy looking to make a go of it. Maybe we'll have to set up some sort of Old Age Arborists organisation or something, to keep the kids in check :awink:

Thanks for all your comments. Looks like you guys are going to be valuable sources of wisdom in the coming months. I wouldn't presume to know it all on the basis of a couple of courses so ideally I'd work for a company for at least a few years (preferably one which puts the best interests of the tree above profit - read some unfavourable stuff about some companies undertaking power line clearance, for example) to get a decent amount of experience to develop the training.

If being able to turn up on time, organise a job and not get 'beer flu' are skills in short supply, I should be laughing :)

ps. Jason - yes, you can read it, though I've got plenty of friends with the same (and share the sentiment)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the words of wisdom lads. i did think that working for an established set up - with the tree's AND employee's interests in mind - would be the best route to take; whilst also doing my own small jobs at weekends in order to see which best suits.

I am new to this site and am very much impressed by it, and the people who use it.

I am also considering getting more involved with qualifications etc relating to this business. However, like some of the others on this thread, I am 35. I have read, and heard, numerous comments previously stating that I am too old and basically have missed my chance to partake in this type of work, and get involved in this industry.

To explain, I currently am working in a job which is secure and has reasonable wages/pension, and so cannot realistically pack it up due to family commitments. (I dare not state what I do due to obvious comments/abuse I will receive). However, I have never enjoyed this job and fell into it by circumstances, and would relish the opertunity to do part time work.

I am a SERIOUS PART TIMER. I have previous recreational climbing experiance, worked for council for a short while in parks dept (when qualification restrictions were ignored!) and am involved in numerous woodwork activities including chainsaw milling etc. Whilst owning Land Rovers and Unimog also, i have a lot in common with members on this site.

Back to the point, the members commenting on this site are realistic and supportive. I do not believe I can compete with the younger person entering this business, but I do believe that any participation at any age, should be encouraged by persons in the industry. I feel that no matter what the age, there is a role for the mature person, if qualified and motivated.

Sorry for the long comments but just pleased to find such a informative and useful site, and be able to be part of it.

Andy as previously pointed out, Maturity can bring many attractive things to a tree business. If you want to climb then you do have to have a certain level of fitness. But also common sense and professionality too, these are qualities lacking in some younger employees. Not all of course as that would be unfair to a great number of workers. In some ways being close to 40 but not having a body that need too much care and attention can be a bonus. Are you a police officer, estate agent or traffic warden? If so, I can understand not wanting to come clean. Good luck to you mate. I hope you go for it, this is a great industry.

Jason, thanks for the supportive comments.

** It's frightning how easy it is to narrow down my job !!! **

Fortunately I work in a rural area, where common sense can sometimes circumvent the rules and paperwork created by people in positions who have no idea how the real world works !

Love to get into the industry, just planning and biding my time.