Decay images

David Humphries

Here is a photo of a pedunculate oak close to a church only showing the body language of a large upward pointed triangular vertical swelling of the bark until I took Mattheck on a tour around some of my research objects in The Netherlands. I am sorry I didn't make photo's before I let Claus have a go at it with his VTA-hammer :001_rolleyes: . Laetiporus sulphureus never fruited on the tree, neither before, nor afterwards.

Zwavelzwam-bruinrot.jpg.6b7e47db415f6760bf48b6592315df5d.jpg

Edited by Fungus

Here is a photo of a pedunculate oak close to a church only showing the body language of a large upward pointed triangular vertical swelling of the bark until I took Mattheck on a tour around some of my research objects in The Netherlands. I am sorry I didn't make photo's before I let Claus have a go at it with his VTA-hammer :001_rolleyes: .

laeti? colonising outer sapwood layer via torsional/helical cracking?

Aesculus hippocastinum ganoderma australe

Tony,

Wow, impressive :sneaky2: , these pictures could just as well have been from the Anne Frank tree in Amsterdam. If this does not convince Janey of the danger of overlooking total decomposition of horse chestnuts by G. australe, because it (often) happens without warning signs from the outside body language of the tree, what will.

Edited by Fungus

laeti? colonising outer sapwood layer via torsional/helical cracking?

Tony,

Yes it was, but you were a bit too hasty to await my editing of the post, I ended with : "Laetiporus sulphureus never fruited on the tree, neither before, nor afterwards."

Tony,

Wow, impressive :sneaky2: , this picture could just as well have been from the Anne Frank tree in Amsterdam. If this does not convince Janey of the danger of overlooking total decomposition of horse chestnuts by G. australe, because it (often) happens without warning signs from the outside body language of the tree, what will.

this was an easy diagnosis and prognosis for me, but last year I saw a bulb form on a chestnut close to home patch and informed the local tree officer, he had a picus done and felled it within a week. when I saw the internal decay which had reached to within half an inch of sapwood I made up my mind there and then that australe is one of the most dangerous of fungi on diffuse porus woods and will NEVER treat it with less than contempt:001_cool:

chestnut has no means of defence against it.

1. ... had a picus done

2 ... australe is one of the most dangerous of fungi on diffuse porus woods ... chestnut has no means of defence against it.

1. They had done a picus twice on the Anne Frank tree, showing no conclusive evidence of the decay (I have seen both reports), and ignored the signs from the body language of G. australe I pointed out from photo's I was sent, a combination of about 10 big perennial brackets and about 6 panic fruiting small ones, the older ones having been on the tree for many years. On top of this, the roots of the tree had an infection with Armillaria rhizomorphs and it was partially defoliated by the caterpillars of a mining moth for three years in a row.

They then went to court to have the felling order lifted because of the historic and emotional value of Anne Frank's diary tree, won the case by selectively informing (tunnel vision) the judge and invested 70.000 euro in a scaffolding construction, which should have held the tree upright in a storm for at least 10 to 15 years and then, two-and-a-half years later - luckely without causing further damage - it broke in a mild storm.

2. Neither have Quercus rubra, Populus and Salix species and some Acer species, in particular A. saccharinum. And even Q. robur can become quite dangerous by delamination and/or torsion cracks at a rather short term (photo with reduced, almost completely sterile panic reproduction of G. australe).

---------

Zomereik-Dikrandtonderzwam.jpg.d69f0e1ecd3a74b35d1396ede12f43f2.jpg

1. They had done a picus twice on the Anne Frank tree, showing no conclusive evidence of the decay (I have seen both reports), and ignored the signs from the body language of G. australe I pointed out from photo's I was sent, a combination of about 10 big perennial brackets and about 6 panic fruiting small ones, the older ones having been on the tree for many years. On top of this, the roots of the tree had an infection with Armillaria rhizomorphs and it was partially defoliated by the caterpillars of a mining moth for three years in a row.-------

Gerrit, was the moth Cameraria ohridella ?