dutch elms disease

plippy

Plippy i totally agree with you , as much as it is a great idea to leave standing dead wood where possible it is not a practise that can be adopted in every green space, park, or public space , IMO let nature do its thing in locations where the interferance from us humans is kept to a minimum such as woods, forrests, country parks, FC commision set aside spaces etc etc .

Yes, I agree that Plippy has a good point here....The principle of maintaining standing deadwood over high target locations must not be dismissed without due consideration...

I however would like to pursue your poiint further CTS as there are alot of situations that are not on your list that it would be quite feasible to maintain and manage with a more `"holistic" or longterm view. There is so much pressure on the greenspace of this country that it is simply not gonna work if the countryside is not allowed to exist within an urban setting.

I am sure you are a sensible and smart human being and I tend to think that the extent of understanding is in the posts and no more. This is clearly not true but I do think that there is a habit on the forum for Arborists to over egg their whole perspective of the safety of the trees they manage and it frankly has to do with justifying the living they make from treework coupled with the "fever" of our risk averse society...What? Did you think because you are a tree surgeon, you were somehow above all this "Safety/schmafety" routine.

I ve had my say....I just wish the industry got to have more say in the way our treestock is managed....rant over! :001_huh:

bundle 2, fair point.

theirs nothing better than seeing a fully mature tree in its full glory, dead or alive but safety dictates that ya not gonna see them in public places, shame really

I hate to split hairs with you Plippy ol'mate, but I sincerely hope and fully expect to see a return to an urban landscape with fully grown, mature trees whilst moving away from an aversion for the larger tree.

Larger, full grown trees simply provide too many reasons why they offer what we will inevitably come to realise is a very necessary service....Cooling, shade, flood mitigation, biodiversity, amenity value and all the social benefits that are recognized to go with them, just to name a few.

I'm sure you know the arguments ... but what you posted seems to totally dismiss this reasoning. :confused1: You are worse than the fatalists !:001_smile:

I share your view however and like nothing better than to see "unmutilated" trees in the landscape.:dito:

I dont see any reason why the countryside cannot be brought to our urban doorsteps. Sadly, I fear we will see our urban development eek away at more and more of whats left of our countryside, our heritage. It does not leave us with much choice other than to integrate the two with some sensitivity and smart design. :001_smile:

Edit: Sorry for derailing the thread somewhat!

Edited by Bundle 2

thats good to see, id imagine it'l be primary schools but only 250 schools, hmm im sure the goverment can afford to do a few more, but considering the cut backs with the public sector theres more chance of my public library closing than getting some elms planted in Faversham