Logs..do you sell by weight, or volume

DN22 Gardening

Only touble with that theory Dave, is builders suppliers used to sell in weight but have now gone over to volume as the old way was seen to be unfair as it would depend how much moisture was in the sand/gravel.

Weights and measures were involved and insisted specified volume was the way to go.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our load works out at 13 heaped domestic wheelbarrows - this keeps most of the customers happy:001_smile:

we measure ours by the barrow load too :thumbup1:

and if people come to load and collect themselves - they have to measure in the same way - as there are only so many logs that will go into a barrow - and any that fall off don't count :001_tt2:

we measure ours by the barrow load too :thumbup1:

and if people come to load and collect themselves - they have to measure in the same way - as there are only so many logs that will go into a barrow - and any that fall off don't count :001_tt2:

How bizarre! 13 overflowing barrows roughly = 1 cubic metre. Trouble is this does not take into account the amount of work required to produce the logs. For example, some customers insist on 6-9" logs. These take almost twice as long to produce and take up less room in the barrow meaning the customer who wants small logs wins both ways. The customer who wants large logs does not do as well as less fit in the wheelbarrow before overflowing. I usually compensate by reducing the barrow loads by two for the smaller logs. Works out fairer this way I think but moves away from standard measures. Logs, don't you just love them? :001_rolleyes:

I have my vehicle built with a 2cu metre body. I find small logs you get more in 10" logs just right. breeze block size the vehicle is a lot heavier therefore I would say more logs. This time of year my logs are an average of 10" if someone has a particular size requirement I will fulfill it in the summer. I cant produce 6" logs reformed brickettes would be ideal for these customers.