Redwoods & Anyone coming like autumn?

mdvaden

Just finished another few days exploring in the redwoods. Slowly seeing what my joints can handle too. Wearing a knee brace now. Also, sold my trailer and am going the motel route now. More streamlined for the present. Found a great little motel for only $50 US per night in Hiouchi, CA.

So I know one man from Germany is coming over this October. And he's not an arborist. Has a clothing store. But he seems to get over here yearly or bi-yearly.

Seems that a lot of Europeans show up in the redwoods during autumn. Any of you folks coming here to see the BIG TREES this autumn season?

Wild_Cucumber.jpg.1b5646ed78e759cfbea5dfbd7d40fcd7.jpg

Log_JSRSP1600.jpg.1cb0c4d850a4180d89338983f8db02ac.jpg

Sn_Pt_500.jpg.a00fa8dee4eff40728ba98a12bd4cce1.jpg

Stout_Connecticut.jpg.d154b0a54d0e017f66013d05e560febd.jpg

JSRSP_Ridge_Log.jpg.0e9391529322a2f94ebe2e343dacf195.jpg

growth_rewood.jpg.366b876919ab09714cf75103a8569bd3.jpg

Boyes_MT.jpg.ff17c532906079839b984fe1c984c289.jpg

Although this redwood here is in a protected park, thought some of you who climb might appreciate this tree top shot.

Took this from the ground. It's about 320 feet up. A lot of those top limbs should be 12 inches in diameter. (30 cm dia.)

Seemed like a photogenic top.

redwood_top_600.jpg.9d5e42d85ea33b9d5b70090d6c90b414.jpg

went there last year, drove route one from corona through to just under oregon stopping at loads of places including alcatraz and the avenue of the giants. every bit was amazing but the trees were so good! id go again in an instant but i would LOVE the chance to climb one next time. also had to drive the whole way back in one day, nearly 800 miles!

went there last year, drove route one from corona through to just under oregon stopping at loads of places including alcatraz and the avenue of the giants. every bit was amazing but the trees were so good! id go again in an instant but i would LOVE the chance to climb one next time. also had to drive the whole way back in one day, nearly 800 miles!

Think about coming into San Francisco or Portland next time. I'm in a Portland suburb of Beaverton, and can get to the Avenue of the Giants by 2pm if I leave at 6am. Although I can reach Jedediah Smith redwoods along the way in just 5 & 1/2 hours.

The best redwoods viewing is between Avenue of the Giants and Jedediah Smith by Crescent City. I spend most time in Redwood National, Prairie Creek and Jedediah Smith. But when I add Humboldt Redwoods near Avenue of the Giants, I take the long stretch drive at the beginning and work my way north. Then the return leg of the journey is pretty quick.

Here's one more top I liked from Jed Smith. 340 foot or so high. The windswept look was interesting.

Ruthlor_misc_600copy.jpg.de183ffc00c0e539f5d15db54782a05e.jpg

Here are a few that have not been in my albums before since the focus is not crisp. Haven't put these on the arborist forums before either.

Its interesting to see how some of these limbs and trunks have developed.

The split limb is up in Arco Giant. Looks like it split, then tissue grew back inside, but from the edges on the outside. I just saw a cross-cut log display showing the same kind of recovery on a trunk that was fire scarred.

The photo with the trunk and all the bizzare woody structures is about 3/4 of way up El Viejo del Norte. Whatever is not foliage is about as good as you might guess. Feet - not inches.

Then the other photos are north of Arco Giant, of Terex Titan's top. The odd branch collar development is rather unique. One photo is a closeup of the other photo.

Terex_Branch.jpg.aacb20254cadb62a59b84f288075a866.jpg

Terex_Branches700.jpg.8c3effa22d7cb00c95cc76f2d31c61c9.jpg

El_Viejo_700.jpg.2fa59752e1eac4f2e54467fd30897688.jpg

arco_limb_700.jpg.7dfe80ddd25f01c01b29dc7323c3073d.jpg