Laetiporus cincinnatus?

SJH

Hi,

What makes you think this is Laetipous cincinnatus?I thought that particular variety of laetiporus was distibuted mainly in America (north) and was rare to find in this country?

One way of differing sulphurus from 'Cincinnatus' is to look at the colour of the spore surface, if yellow then sulphurous!!I cannot tell from the pics above so...

Thanks I should have put a question mark as I'm not too sure, the ones I have seen were all at the base of the trees not higher up the trunk also the underside is quite pale compaired to the to of the fungus, I'm sorry if I got this one wrong but I'm still learning ids so I'm not one hundred percent sure also they seem to have concentric rings on the top side of them not plain compared to sulferous. any help or info would be great help.

Thanks.

Hey,

No worries...i wasn't having a go or trying to make you look silly!I just read the title of the thread and was a bit amazed!Anyway, as the post above states...this does look alot like Meripilus.

'Each cap 10–30cm across, 1–2cm thick, covered in very fine brown scales on the upper surface which is radially grooved and concentrically zoned light and darker brown; attached to the common base by a short stem. Flesh white, soft and fibrous'.

Rogers Mushrooms - Meripilus giganteus Mushroom

No worries mate all the help is great, I just spoke to the owner and he said that last year the fungus got really big so it sounds like merip, might have to get the title changed.

Thanks for the help at least I know what it is for next time.