leafy problem

Bob Rolfe

ive bought this Acer pseudoplatanus Brilliantissimum about 3 years ago and for the most of it its good tree where space is limited when the leaves are young they are a salmon pink through the summer they are a very light yellowy green and has great autum colours but since planting it ive noticed some of the leaves have burn like scars. the scars are not at the edges of the leaf but they are inter-veinale i think you would call it so some idears would be helpful

leaf1.jpg.f4bca4b739304ce06b6378462a0920e6.jpg

it may be it just needs more water or its getting to much sun. i dont know ;but its a little disappointing when the patches appear

leaf2.jpg.9a2bc75ff6afa73fa0017351dc5f4133.jpg

There's a Brilliantissimum where I am which is one of the oldest examples in the UK. Tree twitchers come from all over the UK photographing it.

I think it is on quite a clay soil and obviously thrives on that. I'll look at it this week and a feww others I know of to see if they have any signs of the same.

Looks like whatever it is is affecting the nearsest to the supply route, you'd think if it wasn't getting enough water the edges would go first not the centre which, IMO suggests it's something the tree is taking up :)

My favorite tree though

Is it a form of chlorosis? Normal dark green leaves would show the inter-veinal yellowing first, but it may not have been so apparent on this specimen. What is the soil type? Could be elemental deficiency in manganese or iron or potassium. Very hard to tell without knowing soil type, conditions etc

• 7 years later...

Hi, I came to this site for help.

I live on the edge of Dartmoor in Devon where I believe their is acidic soil or silty as we live near to a river.

Two years ago I planted my five foot Acer Brilliantissimum and the new long pinky coral coloured leaf buds were amazing....then exactly the same as your photo happened. Leaves went brown in the middle, leaf size was stunted.

I trimmed it right back burnt the leafs and moved the tree to the back garden and planted in a nice rich fed hole. It is is sun and I guess slightly exposed.

I watched as it started to produce the second lot of buds in spring and then exactly the same thing happened to all the leafs.

I am at a loss as I usually have green fingers but don't seem to be able to help this beautiful tree. It's brother a Acer (Brandywine) is doing well planted at the same time and the same size??

Can someone please help.