Training Dilema - What to do?

Sean.S

Hi all, I posted in the Employment bit a little while ago to see if anybody had a position going, and I've also been scouring the net for positions available in my area(s) but nothing's come up. I've spent hours calling companies up to 30 miles away and every response was that they don't have enough work to take on anybody.

The positions in London on arbjobs seem ideal, but I wouldn't be able to afford to move there.

I have an NVQ2 in Environmental Conservation, NPTC tickets in Brushcutter and Hedgecutter and LANTRA tickets for chainsaw maint, x-cutting and small trees - all of which I obtained during my year as an Apprentice Ranger with Dorset Dountryside.

I've been looking for either an apprenticeship or a "ground-up" working position within an arb environment, given that I have a lot of experience using saws but not the industry standard NPTC quals and no climbing or arb knowledge. However this is proving to be more difficult than I'd imagined, and I did imagine it to be difficult anyway lol.

So my thoughts are - is it worth signing up to do a full time arb course --> F.T Arb Course

And doing odd free days for surgeons in the area to gain experience and odd paid jobs when I can, or to go down the apprenticeship path and hope to god that by the time the course starts (October) I've found a placement?

I've been accepted on the apprenticeship, so I can either take it or leave it but I thought it best to have the option there at least.

I'm based near Dorchester, Dorset but can re-locate to Bath cheaply which is why I considered Nort. Radstock college over Kingston Maurward which is local to me, as I need to move out soon anyway.

Has anyone had experience with either of these colleges? I've been to Kingston Maurward and they offer a very wide range of courses, but their organisational skills can be very poor.

The reason I'd like to move is that I know this area is SATURATED with tree surgeons without enough work. If I can get to know people elsewhere I'm hoping I'd be more likely to make enough contacts to find a position. But unfortunately Bath is my only other option for now.

So what would you guys recommend - move away, study full time and do odd jobs for experience, do the same but locally, keep fighting for an apprenticeship? Or any other ideas?!

Any help / advice much appreciated.

Cheers!

Sean.

hi sean seeing as there is not many jobs about at the moment i would consider the course norton radstock college is pretty good and like you say bath is not to far from either campus ( norton radstock or keysham) plus you can always look for a few days work to get some exp. as well.

hope all works out for you

dave

I would always reccomend the work route its gives you so much experience not just in the industry but about people, work relationships, politics in the work place and of course tea making.:001_smile:

If there is none at your way go to arbjobs and re locate if this is viable if you cant afford a place ask the company you join if anyone has a room for a while or find a camp site etc.

There is work out there you have to find it. good luck

Thanks for the replies!

bobbysm - I'm finding it hard to get anyone to agree to take me on as I don't actually have my NPTC's yet although I do have experience and LANTRA certs, they don't seem to be good enough.

Unfortunately I don't hold a towing ticket or anything else that would be useful to start off in an arb/tree surgery company.

Tempted to try and get a job landscaping whilst I do my arb training at college, and do some groundwork on the side when I can to keep my hand in it.

I'm looking into getting a climbing kit anyway and starting hobby climbing so I'm really familiar with it when it comes to my CS38/39.

Are they not taking you on because there is not enough work or because you dont have the relevant NPTC that they require?

If its the former then tbh more training wont do you any good if its the latter then maybe it will.

Its seems from reading on here and knowing what its like in my area that it differs greatly across the country as to the amount of work available.

Well, everyone I've spoken to is saying either that they just aren't taking anybody on, some divulge further and say they don't have enough work to warrant taking anybody else on. That's the general consensus.

Reason I mention the quibble with the certs is that when I do mention what I've got they tend to question why I've done LANTRA not NPTC, and don't seem wholly satisfied with it. But that is usually as an aside/afterthought to "sorry, we're not taking anybody on" and not particularly the reason they're refusing to take me on.

Perhaps it is just because I'm not being flexible enough with my working area, but the problem is I really don't have the cash to relocate properly at the moment. Catch 22 situation!

If anyone called me I would also say I havent enough work to take anyone on.

Tbh I cant really offer you any helpful advice other than I dont think its worth doing any more training if there isn't any work out there.

My reality answer would be to look at training in another skill other than tree work.

Not what you want to hear sorry.:blushing: