My Insurance Renewal

Dean Lofthouse

PL, EL and equipment

Just re-insured from NFU to Trust

The exclusions on NFU made the policy unworkable for a tree surgeon:

We will not pay liability arising from:

1. Felling of any tree exceeding six metres unless its distance from any public road, railway, building or structure equals or exceeds its height

2. pruning or felling of any tree exceeding 10 metres in height, within ten metres of any public roadway, railway, building, structure or over head cable

My premium with them was £1308

PL £2.5m

EL £10m

Tools £10K

Chipper was down as trailer (dodgey) on seperate policy at near £400

Now I am with Trust @ £2400 with no restrictions and loads more enhancments on their insurance such as rehabilitation for injured employees with private health care and all new for old policy

PL £5m

EL £10m

Tools £10K

Chipper £21K

Mewp £10K

Cheap insurance has a risk of non payment in the event if you do not scrutinise the small print

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When my renewal came through it had a 10m height restriction on it. I rang them up and they said it didn't apply to my policy and it was just standard t+c's they's sent me out??? Accordingly I asked them to confirm in writing that there was no height restriction which they did no probs at all. No complaints about them from me, but as you've said it depends what happens when you have to make a claim, which I hope I never have to.

R

PL, EL and equipment

Just re-insured from NFU to Trust

The exclusions on NFU made the policy unworkable for a tree surgeon:

We will not pay liability arising from:

1. Felling of any tree exceeding six metres unless its distance from any public road, railway, building or structure equals or exceeds its height

2. pruning or felling of any tree exceeding 10 metres in height, within ten metres of any public roadway, railway, building, structure or over head cable

My premium with them was £1308

PL £2.5m

EL £10m

Tools £10K

Chipper was down as trailer (dodgey) on seperate policy at near £400

Now I am with Trust @ £2400 with no restrictions and loads more enhancments on their insurance such as rehabilitation for injured employees with private health care and all new for old policy

PL £5m

EL £10m

Tools £10K

Chipper £21K

Mewp £10K

Cheap insurance has a risk of non payment in the event if you do not scrutinise the small print

I had exactly the same stipulations applied to my Nfu policy.

I have been with them 10 years now. I renewed the policy with them as same as you I told them unworkable so they cancelled the endorsements.

I rang them at 9am to to tell them about the endorsments and to up the liability from 2.5M to 5M, they said they were going to get on to the underwriters about it and took my mobile.

Bearing in mind they knew my insurance ran out today they haven't rung back yet.

In the mean time I rang Trust, did the proposal and quote over the phone, emailed all my serial numbers to them and received all documents via email. I'm paying a lot more but I now feel more confident about payout on claim.

My chipper is new for old Stu, they asked me how much they were new, I think I paid about £18k for it 3 years ago so now with stirling weak I reckon they'll be quite a bit more so guessed at £21K

I couldn't be bothered ringing round to be honest but the liability insurance part is the same as NFU, it just the machinery part which is dearer with £500 excess.

The mewp I only valued at £10k as it is and that wont be new for old as I bought it back of the insurance company after it's little stumble :biggrin:

I think on renewal next year I will allow more time and shop between Arbinsure and Trust :thumbup1:

Its my fault really for leaving it till the last second

• 1 year later...

Just reinstating this old thread to show what the NFU is capable of if not checked up on.

I originally had PL with the NFU, when I rang ( the OP of this thread) it was to add employers liability to my existing policy which was due for renewal in a few weeks time from then.

I was then given a quote and payment methods for the quote at £128.02 per month, they then told me about the height restrictions etc. I told them it was totally unsuitable for me as a tree surgeon so told them I would not be bothering and would not renew, then went and phoned trust.

I got a letter a month later with the quote and spec for PL and EL and payment plan etc, I ignored it has I hadn't taken it out and had already been with trust for a month.

Two years down the line (yesterday) I notice a payment, which I thought was for my landrover of £128.02 coming out of my bank on direct debit. They have only been taking payments for two years without me realising for a policy which I didn't take out !!

I,ve been down and shown them my trust policy from the last two years and they said they don't know whether they can refund it as its the underwriter that will have to refund, the amount is going to be £3072

Apparently, with all NFU insurance, if you don't cancel, it rolls on and on

If there weren,t rules on this forum I,d blow my top

Also down £450 from not working today

Why is it always me :confused1:

Edited by Dean Lofthouse

My chipper is new for old Stu, they asked me how much they were new, I think I paid about £18k for it 3 years ago so now with stirling weak I reckon they'll be quite a bit more so guessed at £21K

I couldn't be bothered ringing round to be honest but the liability insurance part is the same as NFU, it just the machinery part which is dearer with £500 excess.

The mewp I only valued at £10k as it is and that wont be new for old as I bought it back of the insurance company after it's little stumble :biggrin:

I think on renewal next year I will allow more time and shop between Arbinsure and Trust :thumbup1:

Its my fault really for leaving it till the last second

Dean we would be delighted to give you a quote for your renewal next year. :001_smile:

We no longer trade as Arbinsure, we are now Arborisk.co.uk, its the same team but with a great new insurance offering. Our cover is quality and tailored, but we still quote very competitively.

There is nothing worse than having that feeling your cover is not as good as you need it to be!