what I should look for in an employer

ecolojim

right guys, Ive just finished my 3rd and final year of uni and now have 2 prospective employers inviting me to come and chat with them with a view to a long term career.

both about the same distance from home. so travelling to and from work theres nothing in it. I like the area that employer A is in, and thought about looking for somewhere to live near there. less so with employer B.

employer A is a larger company with at least a dosen guys. It has a lot of fairly large contracts and provides a whole lot of services. I contacted these guys and they seem eager to meet me.

employer B is a one man operation who has an untrained labourer but has now need for expansion, needs a second climber and has got in touch with me via word of mouth.

now, I can appreciate that there are pros and cons to both scenarios. I havent had a phone conversation with B but have with A and he was very encouraging and made it clear that he always has work for the right guys.

with a larger company I can see myself perhaps feeling a bit like a lowly peon whereas employer B has expressed an interest in me working 'with' him rather than 'for' him.

I suppose a large thing to enquire will be which is likely to invest in training the most for its employees. So far Ive put myself through everything and paid for all my gear with little yet to show for it. That is of no consequence as long as it doesnt continue to be the pattern by which my career progresses. I dont necessarily 'expect' things paid for me, but I would appreciate an employer who invests in his loyal workforce.

what are the other fundamental things that I need to be asking them?

A has contracts in site clearance, ROW work, commercial and domestic work and even some carving and craft work. B, im not sure yet

all suggestions and insights gratefully recieved.

Jim

See if you can do a day with each to feel them out... They should appreciate this:icon14:

I personally like small biz, you will fit in and probably be a bit like a family rather than a number in a larger company....

The smaller company probably will give you more on job training, the larger may just send you off on courses....

what do you know about the companies? the big company may well put you through training, which may or may not be adequate, or in the case of company B, you may have the chance of working "with" an exceptional individual where you will have the chance of learning from an experienced individual every single day!

everything so far taken on board.

Chris, Yes i think a day on the job with both will have to be done. It'll give me half a chance of seeing what theyre like to work with, although there are multiple crews from company A.

HighScale, maybe!! B works weekends and A doesnt. I know this because B was doing a tree at my mate's this morning when i got the call

Steve,

Yeah the list of quals that the employees at A have is pretty darned exhaustive. Not that ive broached the topic with him but it certainly suggests they put money into training. yes on the job is better in many respects, but its those magic CS and UA numbers that are the keys to the doors. I can certainly appreciate that!

B, Im not sure having not met the guy yet, but what i get the impression of, is that He stopped grounds maintenance work a number of years ago and set up doing tree work. company A is about 10 years old, B is by the sounds of things considerably younger.

I think part of me is a little enamoured at the fact B has already commented to my mate that he can have me in the canopy a lot, whereas on a CS38 at A, I may only get aloft if they do aerial rescue drills.

I dont think I'm going to get a whole lot further before ive had time to go home and meet both gents and test the water

i think what hes trying to say in a round about way, is that unless you are particularly gifted, and more importantly, this is spotted by someone, you are going to be dragging brush for a lot longer with the big company than you will for the smaller company. The smaller company will most likely want to progress you to full climbing duties, where as in the larger company there wil no doubt be a pecking order to contend with.