Fallen trees in the road.

raker

Last winter, with all the snow, various roads were blocked with fallen timber locally.They were closed for a number of days. Is this wood `fair game`for the enterprising firewood hunter?

Went for a mooch along one road which had been cleared, then past some forestry. Stopped to chat to two forestry commission guys who were sorting their own problems.They indicated that they suspected who `had that away`. It wasnt FC wood, just trees at the side of the road we were discussing.

Is it seen as a helpfull civic duty, and anyone can get stuck in, or is there more too it. Local farmers were doing a bit to clear roads but there was nothing properly organised by the council.

I was left feeling we`d `missed the boat`but obviously wouldnt want to do anything iffy.

Wifes a nurse. We were running her workmates about at the time in the disco(i had the week off). Had a saw in the back just in case, but had no plans at that time to collect any. Just cut to get through.

Cheers.

Its an impossible question to answer mate. You would have to find out who owns the land the tree fell from and approach them, or approach a contractor (if there is one working there) and find out from him/ her what the arrangement is for the wood. One thing not to do is get caught just taking it, as someone MAY have paid for it.

My understanding of the law in the case of a right of way (of any kind) blocked or obstructed by timber either standing or fallen is that you can clear it sufficient to pass but you must not remove any of the material since this belongs to the landowner.

It is also an offence to "go prepared" to do this (which has always struck me as bonkers), so if you put the chainsaw in the truck thinking that the road may be blocked you are committing an offense, but if you happen to have a saw with you anyway and you decide to use it you are OK.

I amy be wrong or the situation may have changed, but this is my understanding. Don't rely upon it in court, however, seek professional advice!