New Zealand ?

jayman

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we come!!! What advice do you want? I could go into paragraphs of details but bore the daylights out of everybody. Do you want advice on living here, working here, moving here, how to do a Haka? Or do you just want to know if it's worth the effort and cost to come over to work for a while?

wow, well im thinking of moving over there for good, i have a friend who has agreed to sponsor me and put me up for the first year in Wellington,

i want to know what the work situation is like over there and what wage to expect, ie; is there much tree surgery as we know it in the uk or is it more forestry. i've been on MAF, DOC and seek and seen a few jobs but there was no wage stated, is there any good advice/criticism for me ?

Yes, there is an Arb industry and last time I looked there were plenty of jobs advertised on trademe. The big outfits like Treescape and Asplundh are always looking for staff but be careful you don't just become a number. The wages aren't great; a top notch climber at the bigger companies (last time I looked) were offering anywhere from $18 to $25. There may be some changes to that but you have to know your stuff and you'll have to prove you're capable before you get paid that much. Mind you, that might all have changed now but talking to guys who still work for them that seems to be the norm. Probably best to negotiate a start wage and then get a review after you've had chance to prove yourself.

There's lots of smaller outfits about that are usually looking too as they seem to pick up oversees workers who are here on a working holiday. Once the worker's visa runs out they need new staff.

Once you're here you'll realize that money isn't everything and a lot about NZ revolves around the lifestyle. BRING YOUR GEAR WITH YOU.

yeah i realize money isnt everything but from what i've been told its cheaper to get a 100% mortgage than it is to rent so i just want peace of mind really,

"bring your own gear" does that mean you cant get much out there or is it just a silly price ?

also the life style out there is one of the main reasons i want to go, my friend over there moved there about 4 years ago and every thing he has told be about it makes me realize how rubbish this country is, i know the grass is always greener and all that but it sounds a lot better than here, of course i will visit first as a holiday maker but i think i have made up my mind.

There’s loads of info on here chap, check out this thread

or type New Zealand as a search ,

I was planning on being out there myself now but due to an unfortunate incident and visa permitting will have to wait for a few more weeks:blushing:

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/international-arborist-forum/16029-couple-questions-kiwis.html"]

ps thanks for all your help TTman and all the Others, have to meet up when I eventually get there. the Tongariro is first on my to-do list:001_cool:

Edited by LSD