Replanting after Rhododendron Ponticum and Laurel removal

Hi there,

We have a 4.5 acre area in Alloway on the west coast of Scotland. Approximately 2 acres has a dense infestation of Rhododendron and Laurel which needs to be dealt with to restore the bio-diversity of the area.

We are just putting together a woodland management plan and this will include removing and destroying this, in a phased way. Starting with grid 2 and 3 followed by 6, 7 and 8.

doonbank_map.JPG

1. ]How long should we wait after removing and destroying it before we can start to replant the area [hazel, rowan, oak, willow, etc]?

2. In your experience, how long before the ground starts to regenerate and recover as, as you can imagine there is no growth under these beasties at the moment?

Many thanks in anticipation.

...Chris...

www.doonbankcottage.co.uk

Both laurel and rhoddie use their leaves to help suppress other plants/trees from growing. when the leaves break down, they make the soil too hostile for anything else to grow. It will take a while for these toxins to leach out of the soil, however if you are in west Scotland the high rain falll will speed this up. It might worth waiting at least a year before planting, as this will increase there chances of survival.

Other options are to remove the leaves, however given the size of the site this will probably be impractable. A flame gun and burning away the leaves may help but can have serious implacations for personal safety, and distroying the wood.

CCW and the National trust in north wales have spent years removing laurel and rhoddie, it would be worth speaking to them.

Hi there,

We have a 4.5 acre area in Alloway on the west coast of Scotland. Approximately 2 acres has a dense infestation of Rhododendron and Laurel which needs to be dealt with to restore the bio-diversity of the area.

We are just putting together a woodland management plan and this will include removing and destroying this, in a phased way. Starting with grid 2 and 3 followed by 6, 7 and 8.

doonbank_map.JPG

1. ]How long should we wait after removing and destroying it before we can start to replant the area [hazel, rowan, oak, willow, etc]?

2. In your experience, how long before the ground starts to regenerate and recover as, as you can imagine there is no growth under these beasties at the moment?

Many thanks in anticipation.

...Chris...

www.doonbankcottage.co.uk

as said above you can burn them . i removed a couple of acres last year and sowed grass on the bare ground worked a treat suppressing weed growth any stump regrowth was sprayed off aswell . best tool tor this job is jcb ours is a6ton machine with a rehandling grab (look at digbits) pulls them out or cut them over to save diturbance then burn the lot but as said stay out the smoke :thumbup:

I would be a little careful about burning laurel as it gives off lots of hydrogen cyanide gas when burnt - so be careful not to inhale any smoke if you do burn it. I have successfully treated laurel stumps by stem injection with glyphosate Roundup biactive and mixture B.

I would be a little careful about burning laurel as it gives off lots of hydrogen cyanide gas when burnt - so be careful not to inhale any smoke if you do burn it. I have successfully treated laurel stumps by stem injection with glyphosate Roundup biactive and mixture B.

we did much the same with rhrodies, cut off the main stems, drill a hole and spray with round biactive, follow up spray on all remaining live stems.

once cut and burned(keeping out the smoke as you are exactly correct) we sprayed regrowth with nu-shot its a bit better than round up as it has a sronger wetting agent that cuts through the shine on the leaves also will not kill grasses that grow to suppress weed growth and saves a lot of drilling depending on density /area

I think Mixture B is the wetting agent I used in the mix - interesting that Nu Shot is used for that - i will have to look into it:001_cool:

sorry if i confused the matter there, nu-shot is the product not the wetting agent.it contains 2.4-d/dicamba. in knapsack sprayer75ml/litre water