woodturning

pyro

Pyro (Ben)

That's a nice little square number, I'd say Yew from the pics. What finish did you use?

If you make the out-rigger bed to match the between centres bed, then you could just use the normal banjo tool post and just increase the T-rest stem height...

I dont think its yew, but i could be wrong! Ive got some yew on my newly created wood shelf and it doenst look anything like it, but as i say you probably know more than me!

I was working on an idea like that in my head, its got the threads in the outboard end, so i was thinking a length of 4" x 4" angle bolted to the headstock with a two lumps of plate or box sticking out and right angles to take the tool post and slide.

scuse my words at the moment ive a thundering migrane!

:thumbdown:

cheers

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey guys and gals

DSCF1793-1.jpg

DSCF1792-2.jpg

DSCF1793.jpg

DSCF1792-1.jpg

did these this weekend,

first one is a laminated blank, ie a lump of ash and oak stuck together. gives a nice effect!

second piece is a base for the glass chimney, lost the base (the old springer ate it!) years ago, so made another! ash again i think!

im off to look at a union jubilee lathe tomorrow (i think) fingers crossed as my current lathe is getting more and more tempremental1

Ben

Nice stuff Ben, particularly like the laminate bowl:thumbup1: In the process of getting a lathe myself, hopefully won't be too bad at it. Just wondering do you use green or seasoned wood, also did you teach yourself or did you go on a course? Cheers, Steve.

Nice stuff Ben, particularly like the laminate bowl:thumbup1: In the process of getting a lathe myself, hopefully won't be too bad at it. Just wondering do you use green or seasoned wood, also did you teach yourself or did you go on a course? Cheers, Steve.

have a look on utube mate, search for wood turning, loads of vids!! bloke called hayden something has lots on there, its a good start for basic safety, ideas etc

have a look on utube mate, search for wood turning, loads of vids!! bloke called hayden something has lots on there, its a good start for basic safety, ideas etc

SNAP thats what i did.

just taught myself, keep practicing, get a few books and itll all fall into place.

green wood is easier to turn IMO its softer and "peels" a bit better. seasoned is where its at though, its harder, it finishes better and doesnt distort when it dries!

Ben

keep an eye on fleabay mate, i was surprised how many lathes were for sale on there :thumbup1:

yep there are loads on there!

Personally id avoid the clarke ones at all costs, thats what ive got/started out on. good to learn the basics but youll soon out grow it, or itll break one of the two!

Record lathes are pretty good though

I found this site when i was starting out that is useful -

Buying a lathe and starting out in woodturning.

covers pretty much everything!

Ben

Picked up my new lathe the other day - thanks KIT! - just got it set up in the garage, may need a fiddle with the bearings as they are a bit noisey, but im not sure what they are meant to be like!

one hell of a mission to bedale yesterday though, was meant to be going to a uni reunion in north allerton (all of 7 miles from bedale!) the same day so thought id combine the two (logical!) took 2 bloody hours to get to NA from bedale!

bloody a1 road words reroute you up to catterick and back down a small b road. accident on the b road so was diverted again round a smaller road! all with 42st of cast iron in the back! still managed 45mpg though :thumbup1:

ill get some pics tomorrow, just ordered the chuck instert so i shold be throwing out some stuff again!

Ben

Nice to see some new pics, nice turnery Pyro-

Here's a few things I've made recently, I think it's Hornbeam, not sure though, any suggestions?

The figure, grain and colour in this wood is amazing, the pics don't do it justice. Incidentally does any one have a good method for taking nice turnery photos?

Img_0381-1.jpg.b6e2d4b1df1ff851b81a7dcb80b8b71d.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg.f179017121145eb67bb96e080e67d1e4.jpg

IMG_0377.jpg.967843178611c690ccd198a63470c669.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg.e1a3de59dbbb6def625651652286bcc8.jpg

Img_0372-1.jpg.705e85c1c4ff4ceb8ec588448e965e7b.jpg

Hornbeam1.jpg.436b4834580e6b39cb31b828ff04df04.jpg