Microchips, PDA's and GPS

Dear all, Im looking to get myself sorted regarding chip tagging and mapping for survey work and scheduling, VTA etc im not convinced with the options avaliable thus far, and wondering if anyone has a way of combining O/S maps, GPS locations and a PDA.

can i download a BG grid and overlay this onto OS maps? so as to pinpoint on the PDA map the location of each tree using a 10 digit grid reference then looking at the map with grid overlay mark the trees location on the PDA?

I dont like current systems much

marcus bellet travers, could you help me develope a system like this? using the BNG system overlaid onto OS maps, utilising a PDA and a GPS device like the oregan 400T?

this way would enable double checking the acuracy of the position, as the map would also show the true grid position against the map lines! a foolproof method.

and OS mapping wil soon be free, as part of the governments freedom of information incentive, the idea to boost enterpenerial enterprise by allowing small independants to compete with high budgets of large companies

Edited by Tony Croft aka hamadryad

You might get some info at tomorrows 'webinar' run by Key Systems. Have a look at this link... KeySCAPE Systems | Managing Tree Survey Data in AutoCAD | BS5837:2005 Conformance Webinar

I went to a seminar they ran a while ago and found it of use regarding data collection and handling.

We use Digiterra which works for us.

argh but this requires cad, and I am not paying thier prices, wait til you see what I am plotting, this will be free and top draw!

As I am starting out i need to be on the cheap. own a PDA and an oregan 400t if I can now download a os map and overlay a BNG line base i can do these surveys on the cheap and still be better than the competition!

Hi Hama,

I dont think you will be getting high accuracy using a oregon 400t, also entering data by reading from one to enter on the other is inherently going to cause problems (if i understand you correctly this is what your thinking?), a better set up would be something like a gps enabled pda Buy Dell Axim X51 and Garmin Mobile 10 Bundle

and set it up with something like geopad, which you will need to customise for your use, if you have to enter to much info into a pda, you may as well be using a pencil and paper, i have done of lots of field survey work with people and if its not quick and easy, then pen and paper will reign supreme with most people

and re the OS data, most mobile GIS systems will have a desktop component that you can register a free maps into as a picture,

I am currently looking into this... talking to a guy who has developed a system that is web-based and/or works with android and thus will work on a normal phone or the new pads that wiil soon be launched. The maps and functionality is optimized using googlemaps and their other applications, what u reckon?

check out edina digimap by searching google. you can register, download maps and use it with GIS software. Do a lot of this at uni. The OS maps should be set out on the British National Grid transverse mercator anyway. Digimap is great. You can also get access to OS geological, historical and marine maps too.

What is the difference bewtween GPS and GIS? is it positioning, and imaging respectivley?

Global position system - location of a spot....

Global information system (?) - shows that spot and other info presented onto à map, often a database based system that is able to present info derived from a search.9