the 'real' gloria..

armchairarborist

As you might guess. I'm sceptical. :D

Agreed, still worth a try in the real world success or fail only so much can be proven in a lab, we will only be able to tell how well it works over a substantial time period surely??

I do remember reading somewhere about tree injection systems being very detrimental to the tree long term. Alas i know little so try to stay open minded.

One thing i am curious about is the anacillin helping to deter leaf miner i've "heard" it works, would it be possible to deliver this product or similar in a way other than tree injection solely for treatment of leaf miner?

Mark,

I'd imagine a soil drench or spray may well be options that are already an alternative.

Though I'll be honest I have no experience of either, other than talking with an Arb guy from melbourn recently,

who uses both for their elm leaf beetle problems.

Apparantly very good results were being recorded.

I'm not denying the potential for it to work - I just get wound up when things go to market with claims beyound the evidence. The lab results should lead to controlled field trials not a headline grabbing cure-all.

I've noted it before that it is generally accepted that allicin has a multitude of potential medical application which have been historically limited by its stability in solution... If this NOPEX BK™ is indeed a stable allicin, then why not take it to major pharmaceutical companies instead of cramming it into a few knackered chestnuts?

Its just dawned on me that further to my previous post, it wasn't even the product that was tested - it was regular allicin...

Something I have been banging on about for the last 5 years is the fact that bleeding canker on HC has been around for at least 12 years, and that it was only following a period of realtively dry years that anybody noticed it. Also there is a strong correlation between trees already compromised by internal decay of physical damage and the worst affected trees. It seems that since we have had two relatively wet summers and also perhaps the cold winters halp here as well, that incidences of HC bleeding canker are well down on what we might have thought as normal. So should we be looking to alter the cause and not treat the symptoms?

I have also notice quite a lot of recovered H/C where the cracks and wounds have healed with no intervention.

Treatment to me is like giving antibiotics to humans

The tree needs to recover and develop resistance to a disease not be treated against a disease. The disease will come back stronger. ???

Anyway I,m niffed with JCA at the moment :sneaky2:

worked late tonight, yes i got jca in to trial treat these trees, customer was willing to pay so why not? i know its only a trial for now but if it works then thats brilliant, and if it doesn't then its a lesson learned from experience. in my mind its the right thing to do as regards testing in the real world. yes the solution used is now stable for up to a week unlike the regular allicin which is useless after 24hrs, it is stored frozen and defrosted before application. nice to do something different for once and will be monitoring these horsechestnuts regularly. i believe testing on stock trees is being undertaken as we speak..

Edited by armchairarborist
smelling missnake