Little bit of research

Amelanchier

ISA Certified Arborist - do you...  

69 members have voted

1. 1. ISA Certified Arborist - do you...

• have no idea what it means?
    • have a vague idea what it means?
    • know what it means but are not interested?
    • know what it means and are interested?
    • know what it is because you are one!

I bought the study guide as I planned to study for this alongside the technicians cert in arb, but my local college cancelled it last year and are running it in 5 day blocks this year (if they ever decide on some dates) :001_rolleyes:

I found the study guide great and have learnt a lot, but I'm rubbish at learning at home. I need a classroom to keep me focused :shot:

I've got qualifications upto level 4 outside of arb, so I really should get on and take the ISA exam.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found the study guide great and have learnt a lot, but I'm rubbish at learning at home. I need a classroom to keep me focused :shot:

I think this is a common theme - would some sort of structured online resource help with access to people for questions and answers, perhaps on a well known UK arb forum? A kind of virtual classroom? :D

Probably higher than that but more specifically, papers in this way ask short style questions with typically right or wrong answers..etc etc. Not an essay, discussion, balanced appraisl or otherwise longer duration sitting. Written papers are 2hrs or more..I dont know. Multiple choice I suppose are maybe an hour.

They are what they are ( he said profoundly ) I dont seee a problem with that.

Probably higher than that but more specifically, papers in this way ask short style questions with typically right or wrong answers..etc etc. Not an essay, discussion, balanced appraisl or otherwise longer duration sitting. Written papers are 2hrs or more..I dont know. Multiple choice I suppose are maybe an hour.

They are what they are ( he said profoundly ) I dont seee a problem with that.

I've done multi choice questions at level 6.

Don't be fooled, multi-choice exams can be extremely tough, especially when written properly.

Once again, sorry for going off topic.

I think this is a common theme - would some sort of structured online resource help with access to people for questions and answers, perhaps on a well known UK arb forum? A kind of virtual classroom? :D

Its not so much the lack of support for me, its the kick in the butt to get studying, but a virtual classroom could help.

My local college has just re-listed the technicians cert in arb, but its now block release instead of day release :001_rolleyes:, but if I do manage to clear 6 weeks in our work diary I'll be sitting this course and sitting the ISA exam.

Tony

Did my RFS cert a couple of years back and fully intended to follow on with the ISA.

I bought the ISA study guide and actually used it as part of my prep for the RFS. I got the CD package - don't laugh, besides the fact that they are American and the accent is a pita they were great to stick on when driving. You end up learning/revising without even knowing.

I did the RFS first for one reason, I believed it is a better initial proof of competence because of the practical elements required for full certification. BUT I believe the ISA wins long term with the CPD element.

Now for my ISA gripe! I would wave sat the exam asap after RFS, I would sit it next week if I could. It is probably just me but I seem to struggle to find somewhere to sit the exam. I am in Cumbria which does not help, but from what I have seen exam dates are few and far between and too far away to be practical for me. Is it not possible to arrange for the exam to be sat at local collages etc?

Now for my ISA gripe! I would wave sat the exam asap after RFS, I would sit it next week if I could. It is probably just me but I seem to struggle to find somewhere to sit the exam. I am in Cumbria which does not help, but from what I have seen exam dates are few and far between and too far away to be practical for me. Is it not possible to arrange for the exam to be sat at local collages etc?

Thanks for the feedback - its this kind of information we need. I shall see what our resident ISA Certification Liason Officer has to say...

One for you Dan?