wood splitting

markw3123

Hi to everybody, new to this forum today. Im a tree surgeon in Chesterfield and have quoted a client for taking down a sycamore. The problem is she wants the wood splitting for logs. Just wondered if theres anybody round about my area that can do this. The timber would be cut into the right lengths but just needs splitting. If so pm me.

Cheers Mark

Hi to everybody, new to this forum today. Im a tree surgeon in Chesterfield and have quoted a client for taking down a sycamore. The problem is she wants the wood splitting for logs. Just wondered if theres anybody round about my area that can do this. The timber would be cut into the right lengths but just needs splitting. If so pm me.

Cheers Mark

Hello Mark and welcome to the forum.

I would hope you have 'priced in' the cost or time for the log splitting. Most of the guys on here would have started in business without a log splitter and it's probably going to be your best bet to do it yourself. Sycamore is really easy to split with a decent axe. Why not have a go?

Anything thats a bit gnarly, you could cut up with a saw or take away?

That's my opinion anyway!

John

Hello Mark and welcome to the forum.

I would hope you have 'priced in' the cost or time for the log splitting. Most of the guys on here would have started in business without a log splitter and it's probably going to be your best bet to do it yourself. Sycamore is really easy to split with a decent axe. Why not have a go?

Anything thats a bit gnarly, you could cut up with a saw or take away?

That's my opinion anyway!

John

Thanks for the reply john, have split many a load by axe in years past, its a fairly big tree and im no spring chicken anymore. Fancy doing it myself, been looking for a cheap splitter. I have priced the tree separte and she wants a price for splitting the timber, trouble is dont know what charge her a day splitting.

You need to look at what you would be happy with just for splitting. Obviously you can't charge as much on a day rate as you would for treework.

I would try and work out what volume of logs you'll end up with. What would you personally be able to sell them for and discount that down if that makes sense?

Well i wouldn't charge less than £15 an hour for splitting by hand. If they don't like that then go to lidl & buy an axe & find out how much labour is involved!

I find using a tyre takes a lot of the strain out of it...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O4SloB6uvE]YouTube - Splitting Logs the Easy & Free Way[/ame]

What sort of volume of wood is she going to need splitting?