Barchams Conference - Dr Gary Watson

Amelanchier

Just wondered if I was the only member to attend? :D

For those that didn't, you missed out! Barchams stepped up their renowned hospitality to cater for some 200 odd delegates. Although this involved converting the potting machine shed into a conference hall, putting up a huge marquee filled with buffet and providing free umbrellas and goodie bags in their characteristic light pots - none of the usual sense of friendliness and camaraderie were lost.

Speakers were Dr Glyn Percival, Andy Hirons and the eponymous Dr Gary Watson - who between them explained current research progress into urban tree selection, planting success, water stress adaptation, nursery stock production, and the implications of root damage (plus plenty more).

I'd just like to thank the speakers and obviously all those Barchams for making these seminars and conferences possible. :congrats:

Saw the good Dr Watson at a Neville thing, last year down in the big smoke.

Good speaker I seem to recall.

can't believe the first Barchams seminar I missed they went and got all hospitable & roomy :001_rolleyes:

Just you wait Keith :sneaky2:

Was the cake reaaaaaaalllllly good ? :biggrin:

The whole day and the genrerous hospitality of Barchams was stupendous. Speakers brilliant and the networking between nearly 400 attendees (sorry Tony you must have been looking out of one eye) was unbelieveable. Gary Watson is now staying for a couple of days with us down South, so I will have to explain the word eponymous to him in the american lingo!!!

The whole day and the genrerous hospitality of Barchams was stupendous. Speakers brilliant and the networking between nearly 400 attendees (sorry Tony you must have been looking out of one eye) was unbelieveable. Gary Watson is now staying for a couple of days with us down South, so I will have to explain the word eponymous to him in the american lingo!!!

im sure it would be greatly appreciated by most if you could explain it to us in the english lingo also :biggrin:

current research progress into urban tree selection,

On the way home, I was wondering about how grafted trees would fit in with this research, if indeed that is a relevant factor, or if it's not, why is it not?:confused1:

It's annoying how these thoughts come when it's too late to ask about them!

im sure it would be greatly appreciated by most if you could explain it to us in the english lingo also :biggrin:

eponym - one who gives his name to things, institutions, places or in this case a Conference. Gary is tickled pink that he now has had a conference named after him.

Cirencester, Steve looks most unlikely now as I am hosting Gary around the English Riviera. Hang in there we WILL have those beers soon.:thumbup:

I was supposed to be there, but... Had and "interesting" morning at the side of the M11 with a flat tyre instead. Poxy ruddy motorbike.

It would have been good to meet you, though I probably wouldn't have known it was you until i got home and read this thread, if you see what I mean...

Hi Janey

I am a little puzzled as to who you would have liked to meet? Gary is certainly worthwhile spending some time with as are all the keen arboricultural fraternity, but me ............. I do not usually have young ladies wanting to meet me, but hey I can dream!!!!!!!