Cracked ribs

Tree Man Tom

I was pulling myself round a limb last week, put all my weight on my ribs and heard a pop.

Im not sure if its cracked, bruised or broken. Its sore but not painful, but im pretty bad for goin to the docs, usually just work through an injury. Didnt see much point goin to A&E as i was told theres nowt theyll do for you.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was pulling myself round a limb last week, put all my weight on my ribs and heard a pop.

Im not sure if its cracked, bruised or broken. Its sore but not painful, but im pretty bad for goin to the docs, usually just work through an injury. Didnt see much point goin to A&E as i was told theres nowt theyll do for you.

You might have just creaked the sternum joints, a cracked rib, bruised rib would give you hell, breathing etc coughing would make you double up!

and there isnt much they can do for a bruised broken rib

I broke a couple of ribs about 4 years ago. I was handling a lump of eucalyptus in windy weather, (ok I admit it was too big), and instead of just letting it go I held on and got pulled over onto the stub. Yeeouch! Luckily I had just cleared my line so I could descend by myself. Once on the ground I couldn't move for 10 minutes or so by which time the paramedics arrived. Fortunately nothing else was damaged so after a handful of Neurofen Plus I was able to move about. Tried to stay away from the painkillers a bit as they encourage you to do more than you should. I did a big climb, a dismantle partially over a building 5 days later high as a kite on solpadeine, scary. Took about 2 years for there to be no pain at the injury site.

Cracked two ribs about 6 years ago. Got myself into an awkward position swinging out onto a limb on a big oak. Thought I had my lanyard clipped in properly and took a pretty big swing back into the main stem. Lanyard spun me backwards before it let go.

Luckily had a pretty understanding boss at the time and was put on light duty for 3-4 weeks back at the yard cleaning and maintainence. Was back to full strength long before I went back to work. Pain completely gone in 6 weeks. Last I ever felt of it. Was given cocodamol. Wicked stuff, high as a kite and couldn't feel a thing, but decided would be better to just suffer through it as thought it would be better if I knew when I was doing myself damage.

Point being, we give ourselves horrid abuse in this job. If you want to last at it, best to take care of yourself. Right now you might be thinking "how can I afford to take a week off?" In 10 years time when you're just not able anymore you might be thinking "how am I going to pay the last 10 years of the mortgage?"