The Ancient Crouch Oak

sean

So I was diving down Crouch Oak Lane In Addlestone, Surrey earlier today when I came across this huge oak at the side of the road. Needless to say a sharp u turn was initiated and I stopped to have a look. What a fantastic tree. Practically on the pavement next to a main road. As you can see it has been propped for a number of years and the stem is hollow and burnt out. Apart from that the tree looks in good health despite its precarious position.

I looked the tree up on the Ancient Tree Forum and it seems the tree has a very interesting history (if true). Astonishingly according to the forum there is no TPO on the tree. This cannot be right surely? Suerly a tree of this age (again according to the site it is purported to be 800 years old) and importance not only historically but also as a unique eco system (in an otherwise built up area) should have more protection? (I will be callin Surrey Council tomorrow to see what the situation is)

I for one am torn....on the whole I think it should.....fenced off at the very least to prevent it from being the subject of more arson attacks? Compaction does not appear to be an issue. Targets moved? As can be seen the very large propped limb runs directly over a footpath....is this an issue?

Or should it just be left to carry on as it has done for centuries and looking pretty healthy for it?

I'd be very interested to hear what people think about this fine specimen of a tree.

Cheers

Sean

Below are a couple of extracts from the ancient tree forum.

Arsonists set fire to the old Crouch oak tree in Addleston in the early hours of Friday 14th Sept 2007 by throwing burning objects into the hollow centre. It seems no permanent damage has been done and it is unlikely that the tree will have to be felled. (Reports from Surry Herald for 19th & 26th September 2007 and Addlestone & Byfleet Review for 22nd September 2007)

Posted by Margaret Bland on 29 September 2007

This tree is The Crouch Oak. See book "The Crouch Oak Tree". Pamela J. Brush. Addlestone Historical Society. September 2002 42 pages.9 Illustrations.Chapters: Intoduction. Windsor Forest. (The site is in the ancient Forest). Wycliff`s Oak. (Old name as he was suposed to have preached under the tree.) Queen Elizabeth`s Picnic Tree. (Another name in the literature for the tree. She was supposed to have dined under it.) A Love Potion. (At one time the bark so used by young ladies.) Spurgeon`s Sermon. (He did preach under the tree.) The Twentieth century. (From being safe in a private house grounds to now being on the edge of a road totaly unprotected and very vunerable. Attempts to get a Tree Preservation on it have failed.) How old is the Tree? (Dendrochronological dating. Could be 800 years old.) Epilogue. References Out of print but copies in 12 Surrey libaries and Surrey History Centre, Goldsworth Road, Woking. .

Posted by Hannah Lane on 17 August 2007

IMG_6503.jpg.de7cecf7cc7ea4e33f4727cc0dede468.jpg

IMG_6502.jpg.e7bef88dc03473ebb034183ec3b30e3b.jpg

IMG_6500.jpg.ba77869cba9d7f57e648a41242c61181.jpg

IMG_6499.jpg.678fffebb103847991992b2259bdaec4.jpg

IMG_6498.jpg.34a5f54622ae43882509a7cb6d11652d.jpg

IMG_6497.jpg.cbc6e5a718eb0faae5dd927fd5f24370.jpg

Bit of a unique post sean. :thumbup1:

What a fine old tree & not only the obvious form, but also the cultural history of the tree.

Is the prop wood or metal?

Looks from the shots as if the best situation may be what is actualy happening already.

I think a fence may possibly attract more attention/vandalism.

What about trying to get the local press, ATF and the council to work on some interpretation/signage, this may get the tree some fame which may highlight it's presence and also get some locals to become tree wardens to make a point of keeping a regular eye on it?

Any chance that the propped limb could handle a retrenchment/reduction of the lever arm?

Bit of a unique post sean. :thumbup1:

What a fine old tree & not only the obvious form, but also the cultural history of the tree.

Is the prop wood or metal?

Looks from the shots as if the best situation may be what is actualy happening already.

I think a fence may possibly attract more attention/vandalism.

What about trying to get the local press, ATF and the council to work on some interpretation/signage, this may get the tree some fame which may highlight it's presence and also get some locals to become tree wardens to make a point of keeping a regular eye on it?

Any chance that the propped limb could handle a retrenchment/reduction of the lever arm?

Answers to your questions David........Firstly I have an affinity with this tree......not sure why but probably due to its unique location......as you know I work with lots of vets and ancient oaks but this one tugged at the proverbial strings.

The prop is metal.....concreted into the path. It is very stable but i'd be interested it inspect the limb where the prop is inserted.

Yes i think a reduction of the lever arm is needed......starting to look a little heavy up top and a 15% reduction wouldn't go a miss.

Like your idea with regards press ATF and council. I only live about 6 miles away so will be taking amore interest in this particular tree.....probably try and get permission to climb it!.keep you posted:thumbup1:

hi sean.if your ever in the north hants area you should check out the old oak in the grounds of the vyne an old estate near sherbourne st john.i reckons you d be well impressed.

with regards to the lack of tpo is it that the local authority has seen the tree as a potential risk perhaps earmarking it for future work(god forbid felling) and without the tpo this may be easier?

hi sean.if your ever in the north hants area you should check out the old oak in the grounds of the vyne an old estate near sherbourne st john.i reckons you d be well impressed.

with regards to the lack of tpo is it that the local authority has seen the tree as a potential risk perhaps earmarking it for future work(god forbid felling) and without the tpo this may be easier?

sounds good mate.....will keep that in mind thanks:thumbup:

What are your thoughts with the apparent lack of TPO on this tree David? If is the case would you be surprised at this and why wouldnt it have?

I suspect there might be little need for a TPO given that the tree appears to be on Local Authority land?