finding jobs

Budebob

Thats well and good but if your just starting up there mite be no paperwork or quotes to do.Until you get some cash coming in how can you afford yellow pages etc? How much do flyers cost any how?

In yellow pages here there are pages of tree companies so it may not be cost effective to put an ad in until you have spare cash.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats well and good but if your just starting up there mite be no paperwork or quotes to do.Until you get some cash coming in how can you afford yellow pages etc? How much do flyers cost any how?

In yellow pages here there are pages of tree companies so it may not be cost effective to put an ad in until you have spare cash.

I've got a big ad in our local weekly paper, costs a fair bit but I get enquiries from it most days. The thing to remember is you don't pay until the end of the month so even if you haven't got a pot to p*ss in you don't have to worry about handing over a penny until your ad has been in 4 issues, in which time you probably got £1-2k worth of work from it.:icon14: Same with yellow pages, you don't have to pay until quite some time after it was printed.

I paid for my ads before they went to print but that dosnt mean they all have the same policy.

That's pretty unusual, no large publication would ask this of you. I can see that some small scale local paper or newsletter might want the money in advance though. With a directory, like the yellow pages, you never have to pay up-front.

During a moment of madness last year, I had the "brainwave" of producing a small, simple leaflet, to send to clients I hadnt heard from/were out of my phone book area. The result was that I havent stopped working since they received them. A couple of clients had lost my number, and were pleased to be reminded. I'd always been of the opinion that leaflets werent a good idea, but this has changed my mind. You must be careful of the wording tho, as leaflet drops by the less scrupulous end of our business are common place.

Getting junk mail from an international credit card company or an energy supplier is a bit different to having a flyer from the 'The Tree Fella' stuck through your letterbox. You can't even begin to compare the two. QUOTE]

Blimey has "Tree Fella" bought up business down your way too? I fail to see your point here...good marketing is good marketing, big companies, banks etc wouldnt waste money on sending out junk if it didnt pay for them. Surely its good marketing to get your name out there.

I fail to see your point here...good marketing is good marketing, big companies, banks etc wouldnt waste money on sending out junk if it didnt pay for them. Surely its good marketing to get your name out there.

I think my point is pretty obvious. If you get, for example, a credit card offer from Barclaycard in the post you know it's genuine. If you get a flyer from some pikie shoved through your letter box....well, we all know about them!