Cherry advice please

Sal

Was hoping that my first post wasn't going to be a question but ' in for a penny'.

I have been asked to take a look at a large multi-stemmed ornamental cherry which stands at around gutter height to the front of a customers house. It has been 'pruned' hard before, several years ago (not by me) and has subsequently become 'hollow' at the site of the previous cuts, it also has what I can only describe as a jelly fungus on other dead wood within the tree. It does however continue to flower well and come in to leaf each year.

The tree is a real family favourite and if it were well out of the way I'd be inclined to leave it to its own devices, however it is at the front over the drive.

I'm not sentimental ,and my first instinct is removal due to it's position as safety has to come first, however it is quite impressive despite its problems and I wondered if there if any merit in trying to prune it back beyond the rot and give it a chance. Apologies for the lack of photos, I took plenty but the quality is too poor. Gotta love the iphone.

i think the answer to your question is.....What are the clients concerns - ie why have you been asked to take a look at it? what do you need to do to get the balance right - leave alone, reduce, repolard or remove?

if its a family favourite why are you being asked to look at it or is it a case of "we love the trees... but....."?

the presence of saprophytes isnt a particular worry but unsound unions at previous heading cuts may be due to location.

Thank you for the quick replies. Will be a couple of days before I'm over that way again but will get some decent photos.

Will press the customer a little harder too over what his main concerns are as it seemed to be "we would love to keep the tree, but financially etc etc..".

Cheers again.