Hello

egs

hello guys.

here it goes first post to a new forum. i am new to the industry, as i am nearing the end of my college course (ND Arb). i have been offered a partnership with my father in his well established landscaping company, targeting tree work. i have a few questions:

-is there any grants avalible for college student leavers eg. equipment ?

- would you advise buying brand new climbing gear or secondhand?

what should be looking to buy kit wise. eg harness ropes etc. makes and model would be helpfull?

- i have my cs30 31 38 looking to get my 39 shortly. would this be oright to work with these tickets or would i have to get more ?

Many thanks for your time.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hello guys.

here it goes first post to a new forum. i am new to the industry, as i am nearing the end of my college course (ND Arb). i have been offered a partnership with my father in his well established landscaping company, targeting tree work. i have a few questions:

-is there any grants avalible for college student leavers eg. equipment ?

- would you advise buying brand new climbing gear or secondhand?

what should be looking to buy kit wise. eg harness ropes etc. makes and model would be helpfull?

- i have my cs30 31 38 looking to get my 39 shortly. would this be oright to work with these tickets or would i have to get more ?

Many thanks for your time.

1) try the princes trust. If you qualify you could get some money.

2) Always new climbing kit as you know what its not been used for (pulling trees over with a truck) Go to the arb fair try lots of harnesses/ what you like a college

3) I'd prob work for someone else on the odd day to get your level of skill/experiance up.

hope this helps

its worth speaking to your college tutors re second hand kit. its more than likely that they'll have some spare kit lying about, and im sure they'd be responsible enough not to sell you any dodgy kit. plus you could probably try the stuff out before you buy it, which is always good. i got my basic climbing gear from one of my college lecturers.

id stick to basic kit until you've been doing it a while, as all the gadgets and shiny toys can cost a lot of money.

if you are going into business with your dad its worth speaking to an organisation like InBiz or Business Link (google them) for some advice re funding and grants. they helped me out and they know their stuff.

good luck!

its worth speaking to your college tutors re second hand kit. its more than likely that they'll have some spare kit lying about, and im sure they'd be responsible enough not to sell you any dodgy kit. plus you could probably try the stuff out before you buy it, which is always good. i got my basic climbing gear from one of my college lecturers.

id stick to basic kit until you've been doing it a while, as all the gadgets and shiny toys can cost a lot of money.

if you are going into business with your dad its worth speaking to an organisation like InBiz or Business Link (google them) for some advice re funding and grants. they helped me out and they know their stuff.

good luck!

Not this your entitled to your opinion but I would advise to the orginal poster to buy new stuff like Targettrees said. You dont what has been done to it save upu get yourself some nice kit thath will last.

i agree that ideally you would buy new kit, but it depends on budget at the end of the day

Yes abserloutley but why spend a 100 pound on a cheap useless old climbing kit and risk your life and then a month down the line relise your mistake and buy another thus wasting 100 pound.

I couldnt afford mine even a whole monthly wage wouldnt cover the cost of my kit so I saved and spread it over 2 months I would advicse this if monney is tight.

Yes abserloutley but why spend a 100 pound on a cheap useless old climbing kit and risk your life and then a month down the line relise your mistake and buy another thus wasting 100 pound.

I couldnt afford mine even a whole monthly wage wouldnt cover the cost of my kit so I saved and spread it over 2 months I would advicse this if monney is tight.

i see you point, but im not suggesting he buys knackered kit, just some reasonably used gear from a trusted source (college lecturer)

my second hand kit allowed me to do a few jobs, which made me some money to buy new kit, all im sayin :thumbup1:

i see you point, but im not suggesting he buys knackered kit, just some reasonably used gear from a trusted source (college lecturer)

my second hand kit allowed me to do a few jobs, which made me some money to buy new kit, all im sayin :thumbup1:

yeah your entitled to your opinion just a risky thing to buy second hand kit at the end of the day its up to the original poster:001_smile:

yes funds are tight. i was just reading about this arb show. does anyone reckon i can get some cheap deals i go for scout around???? or should i just buy from online retailers eg honey bro, buxtons, etc

yes funds are tight. i was just reading about this arb show. does anyone reckon i can get some cheap deals i go for scout around???? or should i just buy from online retailers eg honey bro, buxtons, etc

wait for a show save up as much as you can plus its good as you get to try whatever you like in the flesh rather than looking online and hoping when it turns up you like it I was to eager to buy mine I tried as many different harnness as possible but wish I went to a show to buy krabs etc.