Transplanting Palms

David Humphries

Have posted this over at the Landscapertalk forum, but want to cover my bets.

An aqaintance has been asked to transplant a Palm from a clients current Garden which incidentally is a Diarmuid Gavin design, to his new property.

The Palm has approximately a dbh of 25cms and is 3m tall.

Was planted about 5/6 years ago.

Not sure of the local soil type.

Also not sure on the Species

The questions are; can Palms be transplanted succesfully?

How large is the root ball likely to be?

What tips if any has any one got for doing this?

Any post welcomed and appreciated.

:cheers:

David

I have moved a biggish Trachycarpus fortunei, not as big as that one. I would expect it to be this species if it is outdoors and single stemmed.

The root system is usually quite dense, almost like a fibrous conifer root system, but with thicker fleshy roots.

To preserve the root ball intact, which is the best option, I would guess you are looking at a lump approx 4 feet diameter and depending on soil type and water table, around a foot thick. Its going to be one heavy lift!

With a careful job, I would give it a 70% chance of survival.

Dont do it in frosty weather, as all the cut roots will really suffer, cover the root ball with damp sacking when it is in transit, guy it properly when you replant, and make sure it gets proper aftercare through the first summer, eg plenty of water.

And let us know how it goes!

I moved a chineese windmill palm a few years ago with great success. I will look for a little video and pictures.

Palms are best moved in warm weather. The rootball can be as little as 12" beyond the stem. Good prep of the new site is essential.

Image032.jpg.2339f6084597e656451116b0b1c35fd7.jpg

Image031.jpg.63cc3c2eae03348715904b194f8a6c6c.jpg

Image030.jpg.1b73b6c4419194db3e5a50ccaf09f3b1.jpg