Tree Warden

Lancstree

Is anyone on this forum a Tree Warden for the Tree Council? I'm going to inquire about becoming one which should be beneficial to my local community, my knowledge and education and hopefully would put me in a better position for becoming a tree officer in future years.

It sounds like a worthwhile thing but I'm just wondering if other people have found it worth their while?

Is anyone on this forum a Tree Warden for the Tree Council? I'm going to inquire about becoming one which should be beneficial to my local community, my knowledge and education and hopefully would put me in a better position for becoming a tree officer in future years.

It sounds like a worthwhile thing but I'm just wondering if other people have found it worth their while?

Hmm..I’m local authority and I’ve never yet met a knowledgeable tree warden, so it'll make a refreshing change! If you’re already an arborist have you thought of the possible conflict of interests?

A good way to get your foot in the door of the L/A is to get yourself a planning qualification through home study/distance learning, you’ll be at an advantage then.

I'm an arborist for a LA also so I don't really see how it would conflict with my job, especially as I work in a different town than I live in. I thought about a planning qualification before but they all seem rather heavy on or expensive.

In your opinion John, what do the Tree Wardens you have come across actually do? The reason I ask is because I've looked at the list of duties and benefits but I'm still pretty clueless about it. I'll give the co-ordinator a bell tomorrow.

You are right though. I narrowly missed out on getting a tree officer job because I lacked experience in dealing with TPO's and planning issues.

I'm an arborist for a LA also so I don't really see how it would conflict with my job, especially as I work in a different town than I live in. I thought about a planning qualification before but they all seem rather heavy on or expensive.

In your opinion John, what do the Tree Wardens you have come across actually do? The reason I ask is because I've looked at the list of duties and benefits but I'm still pretty clueless about it. I'll give the co-ordinator a bell tomorrow.

You are right though. I narrowly missed out on getting a tree officer job because I lacked experience in dealing with TPO's and planning issues.

Mate, I could of written that myself! A position came up a few years ago in my LA. I went for the job but like you the only reason I didn't get it is because of the lack of planning experience. Could you ask your LA if you can 'shadow' your Tree/Planning officer? I'm happy in my post now, running the tree team and inspecting my tree stock, in effect I'm a LA Tree Officer but without the hassle! Plus I get to cherry pick all the best climbing jobs…

I'm happy in my post now, running the tree team and inspecting my tree stock, in effect I'm a LA Tree Officer but without the hassle! Plus I get to cherry pick all the best climbing jobs…

There's some sort of really weird Arb Job Mirroring going on here Mr H.

I doubt many LA Arbs get the chance to get to a similar position these days.

How long have you been working for Worcester? :wave:

There's some sort of really weird Arb Job Mirroring going on here Mr H.

I doubt many LA Arbs get the chance to get to a similar position these days.

How long have you been working for

Worcester? :wave:

Hello buddy, approx 7 years now. I really enjoy the job, the LA has been good to me and I'll carry on being good to them. You have to be a certain type to work for a local authority, I've seen a fair few come and go over the years. You def. have to be a round peg to fit in that LA round hole!

Im A warden.

All we do is check trees with TPOS on them to see their not being violated. Or apply for TPOS.You can do want you want thou. Talk to schools, colleges, local groups about tree care and giving them the oppurtunity to plant trees in the right place. I have id some hazardous trees in my patch and suggest remdial work. i just look for oppurtunties to plant them and act as middle man between the comunity and Council. You make it what you like. Im lucky i know something about trees being an Arb student.

My last warden before did not have a bl**dy clue..planted turkey oak every where, no thought that it spreads knopper gall wasps and hybridizes with English oak!

I think it will help me to get work as tree surveyor, or as a conservationist within woodland.

Thats the idea lancastree , you make it what you can. if you work like have and have not got much time between work and study you may just do woodland / urban tree surveys..check tpos. im planning a talk on tree care with the locals sometime.

Their is a one off training course in the begining on anceint tree id and survey, thats it. They have forums once a year and you meet up with other wardens..but no discounts or free courses. Thats were the idea fails. Unless you know a fair bit about trees and biology , survey and ecology..your left with just tpos and thats it. you get a few booklets and thats it.

Its more about being a catalyst to start tree projects off...badgering the locals to look after their trees and plant some more:proud: