Fungus id needed please

TonyP

I will disect it, count the pores per mm, etc comparing to all my books, but I will know as soon as its in my hand, and i am curious about it because if G. applanatum then its rounded curvey language is MOST unusual, this is more typical of a forming phellinus. THAT is the scientific method but...

I have also NEVER seen slugs eat the surface of Applanatum and if you look, thier was a slug, a black one dissapearing rapidly to left of image! and marks where it had started to devour the pore surface of this bracket.

My views may seem over confidant at times, but I spend a lot of time looking, i like to call it observational science, Alan rayner wood call it Peripheral view, "inclusionality". hardcore science is rigid, and forces the eye into narrow confines, the singularity. "Observe a thing not only by itself, but in its context and natural nieghbourhood" do not view life through a lens, embrace your peripheral vision, open your mind to "natural nieghbourhood" and see the bigger picture.:thumbup:

Good stuff Hama, I was interested why you'd switched from Ganoderma to Phellinus, thanks for the explanation. I enjoy your confident observational style - keep it coming.:thumbup1:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will disect it, count the pores per mm, etc comparing to all my books, but I will know as soon as its in my hand, and i am curious about it because if G. applanatum then its rounded curvey language is MOST unusual, this is more typical of a forming phellinus. THAT is the scientific method but...

I have also NEVER seen slugs eat the surface of Applanatum and if you look, thier was a slug, a black one dissapearing rapidly to left of image! and marks where it had started to devour the pore surface of this bracket.

My views may seem over confidant at times, but I spend a lot of time looking, i like to call it observational science, Alan rayner wood call it Peripheral view, "inclusionality". hardcore science is rigid, and forces the eye into narrow confines, the singularity. "Observe a thing not only by itself, but in its context and natural nieghbourhood" do not view life through a lens, embrace your peripheral vision, open your mind to "natural nieghbourhood" and see the bigger picture.:thumbup:

Good call Hama, I will admit i'm not usually your biggest fan, as you do talk a load of old rubbish:001_tt2: but I will also admit that I think you may have a bit more going on upstairs than I have been giving you credit for.

If you knew me, or spoke to anyone who has ever worked for me, you would realise that complements are few and far between with me. I'm not easily impressed so please take this comment in the way it is mean't.:thumbup1:

Good call Hama, I will admit i'm not usually your biggest fan, as you do talk a load of old rubbish:001_tt2: but I will also admit that I think you may have a bit more going on upstairs than I have been giving you credit for.

If you knew me, or spoke to anyone who has ever worked for me, you would realise that complements are few and far between with me. I'm not easily impressed so please take this comment in the way it is mean't.:thumbup1:

I realise i am not the favourite flavour here, and thats o.k because i am a non conformist, i dont try to "force" my opinions or ideas on anyone in here or elswhere. I just like thinking about stuff, and talking about that stuff with others, because i am bursting at the seams all the time with a thirst for this, i cant help it, i just love it!

I am an observer and a thinker and a considerable gas bag, as you say I appear to talk a load of rubbish! Most of the time I am thinking aloud, because thats the way i am, and i like to present an oportunity to prove me wrong as i recieve an education each and everytime somone presents a better point of view.

I like to be influenced, rather than influence, to learn rather than teach, to share or give rather than take, I am not all i appear! but your starting to get that and i appreciate the comments.:thumbup:

I realise i am not the favourite flavour here, and thats o.k because i am a non conformist, i dont try to "force" my opinions or ideas on anyone in here or elswhere. I just like thinking about stuff, and talking about that stuff with others, because i am bursting at the seams all the time with a thirst for this, i cant help it, i just love it!

I am an observer and a thinker and a considerable gas bag, as you say I appear to talk a load of rubbish! Most of the time I am thinking aloud, because thats the way i am, and i like to present an oportunity to prove me wrong as i recieve an education each and everytime somone presents a better point of view.

I like to be influenced, rather than influence, to learn rather than teach, to share or give rather than take, I am not all i appear! but your starting to get that and i appreciate the comments.:thumbup:

Hama I think you're an inspiration on this forum, you come at things from a different perspective but that's a gift in my eyes rather than a curse.

You've rekindled my desire to wade in to the murky world of education with some ongoing home study(arb related) and to start re-reading tree biology/pathogens, pests/diseases etc.

Guys like you raise the bar and mate you're wasted as an employee.

Hama I think you're an inspiration on this forum, you come at things from a different perspective but that's a gift in my eyes rather than a curse.

You've rekindled my desire to wade in to the murky world of education with some ongoing home study(arb related) and to start re-reading tree biology/pathogens, pests/diseases etc.

Guys like you raise the bar and mate you're wasted as an employee.

Do you know what, thats made my day, knowing your inspired to get the books out and have ago again!

good stuff:thumbup:

The bracket was delivered while i was away so had to pick it up from the sorting office today!

First thing, wrapping in a plastic bag retains moisture and actualy causes condensation to form and hence the fruit bodies pore surface was swamped under a new mycelia, so pore count was vertualy impossible.

try to keep a bracket in a warm dry (window sill/dashboard of car) place for a day or two before wrapping in tissue and packing.

The bracket is Applanatum, a saprobe, indicating there is much dead dysfunctional tissue at the base, probably due to dead roots, and will in combination with ustulina, be a sure sign of root damage.

if there are targets of concern i would fell this tree maybe not immidietly, but I would want to investigate to give a safe time scale on this.

an alternative is to do a heavy reduction or pollard which could render the tree safe for many many years if cyclicy pruned say 5 year max intervals, monotoring the ustulina bi annualy.

Thanks for posting, always cool to look at these things.

It was such a young fruiting body even the tube layer hadnt formed, and hence the photo was a difficult call, now I have it here the white margin and cocoa brown plating is obvious.