customers!!!

Ian C

JonLad, I just seen some of your pruning pics in another thread. You should be charging top dollar for that work.

Thanks for that. I charge as much as I can get for the work we do, but that isn't as much as I was able to 12-18 months ago, in this area.

A bloke rang me late morning today, left a message asking me to get in touch regarding an apple tree he wanted pruning. I rang this evening when I got home around 6.30. His response - "Oh, someones's been out and done it already".

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not in tree work I know but recently when people say they've got a cheaper quote I just say "well it's up to you, do you want it done cheap or right because it's not often you'll get both?". Seems to work a treat!

I don't charge a fortune either. Just a fair wage. Anyone who undercuts me must either be really desperate or corner cutting!

I'm not in tree work I know but recently when people say they've got a cheaper quote I just say "well it's up to you, do you want it done cheap or right because it's not often you'll get both?". Seems to work a treat!

I don't charge a fortune either. Just a fair wage. Anyone who undercuts me must either be really desperate or corner cutting!

Not being funny mate but when I'm quoting against people who are cutting corners and not doing the job properly its usually landscapers working from ladders with tools they aren't qualified to use. Seems a bit rich you having an opinion on businesses who cut corners and dont do a proper job. I didn't know everything there was to know about rules, regulations and qualifications when I started my business so I made sure I found out before I started so I did it right.:thumbdown:

Not being funny mate but when I'm quoting against people who are cutting corners and not doing the job properly its usually landscapers working from ladders with tools they aren't qualified to use. Seems a bit rich you having an opinion on businesses who cut corners and dont do a proper job. I didn't know everything there was to know about rules, regulations and qualifications when I started my business so I made sure I found out before I started so I did it right.:thumbdown:

Ok I work in garden maintenance, landscaping and tree work. I've been doing the maintenance and landscaping longer than the tree work, but that doesn't mean I don't do trees properly. I have my cs certs I am studying for my rfs cert at the mo. I am insured, I do all my checks properly before carrying out work and my customers are always happy when I finish. I am not cheap, I don't drop prices to get jobs, if they want me they have to pay.

I did a spring newsletter out to last years customers a month ago and booked in nearly five weeks of solid work off the back of it. So marketing your business properly will get you more work in, especially going back to people you have worked for before. ( Assuming you did a good job of course.)

There seem to be a few people on here who have a massive problem with gardeners expanding into tree work. There is a general assumption that someone who is "basically a gardener with a ladder," to coin a phrase used here before, is going to be rubbish at tree work. Why?

If gardeners have it so easy why not get your mowers out and take some of their customers? Look after your own business rather than worrying what others are doing and you'll find life far less stressful.

Just my two penneth, but hey what would I know I'm just a gardener with a ladder.

Ben

Ok I work in garden maintenance, landscaping and tree work. I've been doing the maintenance and landscaping longer than the tree work, but that doesn't mean I don't do trees properly. I have my cs certs I am studying for my rfs cert at the mo. I am insured, I do all my checks properly before carrying out work and my customers are always happy when I finish. I am not cheap, I don't drop prices to get jobs, if they want me they have to pay.

I did a spring newsletter out to last years customers a month ago and booked in nearly five weeks of solid work off the back of it. So marketing your business properly will get you more work in, especially going back to people you have worked for before. ( Assuming you did a good job of course.)

There seem to be a few people on here who have a massive problem with gardeners expanding into tree work. There is a general assumption that someone who is "basically a gardener with a ladder," to coin a phrase used here before, is going to be rubbish at tree work. Why?

If gardeners have it so easy why not get your mowers out and take some of their customers? Look after your own business rather than worrying what others are doing and you'll find life far less stressful.

Just my two penneth, but hey what would I know I'm just a gardener with a ladder.

Ben

Ben, You completely missed my point. I have no problem with landscapers and gardeners doing tree work if they do a good job and are qualified to do it. I was commenting on a post from someone having an opinion on businesses who cut corners when he is a self confessed corner cutter. I started landscaping and gardening before I started tree work so can I respectfully request you get your facts straight and understand my posts before you go off 'Half cocked'.

Sorry, where does he say he cuts corners? I must have missed that bit. I'm not a regular poster or reader on here, is it in another post?

Not going off half cocked and not having a go directly at you at all. It is something I have read a few times on here from different people.

Ben

I think you've read it wrong. He says he isn't in tree work so that could mean he gets the same thing laying patios, cutting grass etc??

I.e Similar business problems different area of expertise.

R

Sorry, where does he say he cuts corners? I must have missed that bit. I'm not a regular poster or reader on here, is it in another post?

Not going off half cocked and not having a go directly at you at all. It is something I have read a few times on here from different people.

Ben

Look at his 'new to the forum' thread where he tells us he owns a 200t which he uses from a ladder mate. That was what I was referring to. He owns a 200t and does tree work and doesn't even know what qualifications he is supposed to have. Do you now see why I took exception to him having an opinion on businesses who cut corners?

Apology accepted mate. I am not one of those who thinks gardeners and landscapers cant do good tree work.:thumbup1:

I think you've read it wrong. He says he isn't in tree work so that could mean he gets the same thing laying patios, cutting grass etc??

I.e Similar business problems different area of expertise.

R

I was considering his comments already discussed on his 'new to the forum' Thread mate.

Fair does, just read that and you're right.

njc110381 I'm always wary of making comments when I'm not in possession of the full facts. Your posts do however seem to contradict each other, one minute I can do the job properly to the customer, the next you're being told by professionals that you're not.

I started off cutting grass. At the time I subbed all tree work that I wasn't qualified and insured to do. I then got qualified and started doing ground level stuff myself. I then got the aerial rescue ticket and employed a climber. I then did climbing tickets and now climb myself employing whatever staff I need to do a job.

Have a look at all the best practice guides and make your own decision.

I'm sure a lot of people, myself included don't mind a pm if you have any questions about the 'right' way to do it.

R