KN is this acurate?

What you may be wanting are a combination of speed distance calculations and force calculations. I did A level physics and maths back in the day and vaguely remember working out stuff like above.

v=u+at where v = final velocity u = initial velocity + acelleration x time

v= 9.81x3

final velocity is 29.43 metres per second

s=0.5xat2

therefore the distance fallen is 0.5*9.81*9 = 44m approx 150feet

I may come back and calculate the force later. But my brain hurts.

:lol: good stuff, I think I need to get some evening classes in physics chemistry and math myself, weak on all those!

wish i had of tried harder at school!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon 3 seconds fall has to be about 80ft or maybe a little more, thinking about a log dropping from a 100fter:001_huh:

You're well off. Would fall almost twice that far in 3 seconds. When working out the distance travelled by a falling objects you need to think about the average speed of the falling object in each second, not the terminal velocity at the end of each second. I think generally if you fall for 3 seconds in our line of work the only thing thats going to stop you is the floor.

i'm calculating it at 58.86 metres. if the acceleration of fall due to gravity is directly proportional to the time it takes until terminal velocity is reached. gravity @ 9.81

the first second the object has travelled 9.81 m the 2nd second it travels 19.62 m and the 3rd second it travels 29.43 add all these seperate amounts up and you get 58.86 m = 193ft

i'm calculating it at 58.86 metres. if the acceleration of fall due to gravity is directly proportional to the time it takes until terminal velocity is reached. gravity @ 9.81

the first second the object has travelled 9.81 m the 2nd second it travels 19.62 m and the 3rd second it travels 29.43 add all these seperate amounts up and you get 58.86 m = 193ft

good stuff that man!

So how do we work out the expected KN force of a twelve stone man falling on some slack for one second say?

What strain would this apply to his gear?

good stuff that man!

So how do we work out the expected KN force of a twelve stone man falling on some slack for one second say?

What strain would this apply to his gear?

A 12 stone man (76kg) falling for 1 second and stopping immediatetly (which wouldn't quite happen) will exert a force of nearly 745 Newtons on the rope.

F = m X a

Force = mass X acceleration due to gravity

Force = 76 X 9.8 m per seconds (squared) = 744.8 Newtons

I hope this helps.

Dee

and then just to complicate things, how do we count the force of a pendulum swing from a limb walk slip?

I wouldn't complicate things yet if I were you. You haven't got the answer to how far you would actually fall in 3 seconds yet. The clue is in my last post.:001_tongue:

A 12 stone man (76kg) falling for 1 second and stopping immediatetly (which wouldn't quite happen) will exert a force of nearly 745 Newtons on the rope.

F = m X a

Force = mass X acceleration due to gravity

Force = 76 X 9.8 m per seconds (squared) = 744.8 Newtons

I hope this helps.

Dee

This is wrong - sorry! :blushing:

The answer should be 7448 N or 7.448 kN

I wouldn't complicate things yet if I were you. You haven't got the answer to how far you would actually fall in 3 seconds yet. The clue is in my last post.:001_tongue:

i thought we did, not saying i got it right because i should really be applying a formula to my stab in the dark. so come on then quit dangiling a carrot on a stick in front of us and tell us. i do i have to go home and dig out my old school physics book

i thought we did, not saying i got it right because i should really be applying a formula to my stab in the dark. so come on then quit dangiling a carrot on a stick in front of us and tell us. i do i have to go home and dig out my old school physics book

A falling object doesn't fall 9.8 m in the first second. Its velocity at the end of the first second is 9.8m/s. Thats why I said its about the average speed in each second not the speed of the object at the end of each second.