Two tricky willow dismantles.

mistahbenn

Hi again guys. Had to get these two down in a day, they were in a tight corner, fence underneath, long sprawling limbs on the back one. Tricky. Willow is dangerous and unpredictable to cut. I had a few branches split when cut. I was happy when that stick was on the ground. At the end of the day the mission was to get the trees down as safe as possible, mine and Bretts safety above all. 1 rotten fence panel didn't matter. Awkward trees in an awkward position.

part 1 [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bq5TJqRBpc]YouTube - willows 1_0001.wmv[/ame]

part 2 [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R2pITAAclo]YouTube - willows 2_0001.wmv[/ame]

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree that is an honest video so thought i'd give an honest response.

Seems to me that the easy bits were rigged succesfully even though they could have been cut and chucked where as the more difficult bits which really needed a bit of decent rigging were either not rigged or just kind of half rigged with little effect. I know willow isn't nice to work on but I think the larger bits could have been rigged much more succesfully if they had been done properly. It also seems like some of the larger bits which were rigged were then cut as if no rigging was present at all. If anyone, or everyone:blushing:, disagrees with me please let me know why as if you all think the vid is ok I think I must be missing something.

My climbings not the best, but getting better all the time. I'm asking these questions to try and improve myself, and im sitting here nice and warm watching and rewatching the vid with loads of time to analyse it, not up the tree getting the job done.

The limb that hit the fence panel was quite very big and the rigging did not really do a lot for it. Could you not have got further out on it and rigged it smaller, or was the rigging more so that it couldn't go bouncing off towards the motorway?

Would 'ears' have helped with the rips? I did a willow yesterday trimmed back to a fenceline and found it really helped.

How much pressure was there on you to get it done quick. I.e if it was a back garden tree where you could have spent all day on it would you have done things differently?

I know when it's a commercial environment rightly or wrongly we do things differently to working for mrs jones on that estate round the corner.

Anyways job done so nice one, as you said all came home safe to fight another day.

R

As u can see I was putting ears on most of the cuts. The trees had to be down on that day. my plan for that limb was for it to swing away from me, with alittle control from the rope, which it did, not to lower as such, just for a bit of control, but slack came into the line because of angles. But anyway, we got them done and got home safe.

Sorry as I said it wasn't supposed to come across as criticism at all.

On the ears it was more on the fell that I noticed it. It always amazes me how big you can need them on willow.

Thats what I thought would be the case with that limb, and it worked job done.

As you said job done ready to fight another day.

Nice one

R

Thanks R. The stick had a letter box cut, and yes should have had ears too, I thought the hinges would break, but she went over slowly so not enough momentum. Can't win em all :) after doing 24 others similar on that plot, I now deserve a holiday!

I know that feeling to well. I'm asking the questions as I often do similar things and think how should I have done it, sometimes I know (dismantled a dead ash over a greenhouse, cut and chucked some of it lowered other bits and the top, then just slashed a small branch off, it spun round and smashed a pane of glass) and othertimes I need to look to others for advice

Oh and willow always seems to do funny things. I got the saw stuck doing a dog tooth cut the other day............

R

Hi again guys. Had to get these two down in a day, they were in a tight corner, fence underneath, long sprawling limbs on the back one. Tricky. Willow is dangerous and unpredictable to cut. I had a few branches split when cut. I was happy when that stick was on the ground. At the end of the day the mission was to get the trees down as safe as possible, mine and Bretts safety above all. 1 rotten fence panel didn't matter. Awkward trees in an awkward position.

part 1

part 2

good video benn:thumbup1: