Advice from you academics!

Thats very true. I rebelled against university when my parents told me I had to go after my A- levels and went out to work instead. I'm glad I did, as I was all set for a Law Degree. About 10 years later, when I actually knew what I wanted to do, I enrolled first for Cert, then Diploma, Degree, and now MSc beckons. I enjoyed all the courses, mainly because it was what I wanted to do, and when I wanted to do it.

All the best with your education mate:thumbup1: even if I didn't get a mention in your Oscar acceptance speech.:001_tt2:

Are you looking to do the MSc anytime soon? I have been looking at that options as the Prof Dip is not running until further notice.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually doing a degree isn't about a piece of paper, it demonstrates to prospective employers that you can work to deadlines and take the initiative in finding solutions to problems because the lecturers aren't there to hold your hand at all [speaking as a final year BSc Hons undergrad at Myerscough].

I'm perplexed by your lack of experience on excel/report writing/cad. If you have a PC and you have an internet connection then all you have to do is type "CAD tutorials" into youtube etc. It's what everyone else is doing, if you cannot write reports or work to deadlines then what use is there in asking for consultancy positions? It just doesn't figure.

I hope you don't take this as a personal attack because it is not intended as such; but my advice is to get your arse into gear, start using excel for your expenses, start using the infinite amount of resources out there online to learn how to CAD and just get on with your assignments. Everyone's been there where they got caught short, couldn't be bothered to do a piece of work or whatever - i actually failed a part of one of my assignments recently because I found it tedious and boring; I can cook up any number of reasons why I failed to rationalise it to myself but the key point is that whilst there are plenty of dumb people doing degrees out there they "wing it" because they put the work in.

Whether you are bright or not is irrelevant, if you don't work at it it just won't happen, degrees have fallen by the wayside and the common view of them may well be that it's just a bit of paper but it doesn't mean that piece of paper is just going to magically land on your plate because you want it to.

Good advice there, i'm sure Hama will take it in the spirit it was written. You are right, there are a lot of dumb people getting degrees but if they want a degree and work bloody hard to get it, are they really that dumb? The learning style for education of degree and above is very much more unsupervised than lower qualifications, it really is a chance to prove you can think for yourself, rather than merely having a piece of paper.

Some courses command much more respect than others, with a huge amount of Mickey Mouse courses about, it is important to pick your course wisely.

I think that Degrees generally aren't as well respected as they were as these days, most tend to be gained by those just leaving college, who often just look for the easiest option. It isn't hard to meet the entry requirements these days either. When I was at college I, and many others, did A-level Environmental science in a year as it was easy enough to do the 2 year course in a year, and added vital UCAS points. I dont think people need to bother now, as even with 3 average a-levels you will find some Uni to take you.

I still believe though, that a decent degree, backed with a good level of experience will serve you well.

I know it will, its the thing thats lost me the jobs to a younger more academic lad, put that lad under a 300 year old oak riddled with fungi, or send him out to "inspect and report" on a row of late mature trees on a boundary somewhere and i garauntee it will be HIM out of his depth, not me!

The CAD tutorials is something I did not know about, and will be gratefull for it, i had no idea.

And dont take too much notice of me, im just under pressure and trying to do "my own " learning which is relevant, as well as do what i HAVE to do, it aint easy i can tell ya.

if you all knew how many balls I am juggling you would know!:thumbup:

I know it will, its the thing thats lost me the jobs to a younger more academic lad, put that lad under a 300 year old oak riddled with fungi, or send him out to "inspect and report" on a row of late mature trees on a boundary somewhere and i garauntee it will be HIM out of his depth, not me!

Hi Tony. I actually think you are out of line there - you can't guarantee that somone else will be out of their depth just because they are "younger and more academic"!

You are great at what you do, and I have no doubt you will go on to even greater things, but it doesn't mean you have to poo-poo others on the way past!

Hi Tony. I actually think you are out of line there - you can't guarantee that somone else will be out of their depth just because they are "younger and more academic"!

You are great at what you do, and I have no doubt you will go on to even greater things, but it doesn't mean you have to poo-poo others on the way past!

I wasnt poo pooing others on the way past!

just stating the obvious difference between a well seasoned arb with experience and a freshman with formal and academic form:sneaky2:.

Hama, I think people are just wishing for a little less of the stereotypical view of people under thirty who have committed to education at a younger age. Sweeping statements do not express your professional approach to the industry.

We all support your wish to expand your qualifications and career prospects and follow with interest. But unfortunately in the world of consultancy you are not better than the next person unless you have the letters behind you name.

Hama, I think people are just wishing for a little less of the stereotypical view of people under thirty who have committed to education at a younger age. Sweeping statements do not express your professional approach to the industry.

We all support your wish to expand your qualifications and career prospects and follow with interest. But unfortunately in the world of consultancy you are not better than the next person unless you have the letters behind you name.[/QUOte

I KNOW, thats why Im doing it!

Are you looking to do the MSc anytime soon? I have been looking at that options as the Prof Dip is not running until further notice.

Dont think a Masters Degree is an alternative to a Diploma mate. Unless you already have a Degree and have just decided to take another route completely I suppose. You normally wont get on an Msc course unless you have at least done a 3 year Degree.

can I make one thing perfectly clear, because I am coming off here as an arrogant A hole, which I am not.

Arrogant people dont openly admit weakness or ask for help!

Calm down mate, I wouldn't say you are arrogant, smug and annoying maybe, but not arrogant.:001_tt2:

Seriously though, it is very easy to write something on here and for it to come across as much more blunt and arrogant than it is actually meant to be. I had a bit of a barney on here the other day with someone. After criticising their English, (which, in my defence, is exceptionally bad) I realised I had hit a nerve and apologised for causing offence. I know that none of our English on here is perfect, it doesn't need to be, but when its so bad it hardly makes sense, when you are trying to help someone, it gets a little annoying. Anyway, my apology was taken the wrong way and in the end we both looked a little silly after being told off by the teacher (sorry john). My point is, from genuinely asking questions to try to give an informative answer, to our conversation becoming a bit of a childish slanging match took about 10 mins. The funny think was, the question the bloke was asking is the very thing i'm qualified to advise about. I think sometimes we all need to review what we write just to make sure it reads in the spirit it was written.

Although the beauty of this forum also seems to be that people are quite straight talking and to the point, so maybe some kind of middle ground is best.:thumbup1:

Anyway it is true that not all newly qualified post grads are useless. It is true, however, that they will be lacking experience. I think thats the point thats being made, no more, no less.