myerscough degree

kevwrenn

Hi all, anyone got any experience of the online degree course? I want to further my education but am not sure if this is the way to go. Also not getting a massive ammount of tree work at moment due to poor managers at work, dont know if this would get in the way of the studies as it suggests work would be useful in the studies. Any info or feelings gratefully received.

Kev.

I'm due to start the third year of the online FDSc Arboriculture at Myerscough. I've enjoyed it so far. Some modules have exceptional tutors who go far beyond any expectations of what their job requires, and some are just plain standard. Lot of money though and can be just another time pressure. Works well for me but I've the advantage that I don't have to do that much quoting.

I had a student from Myerscough come do a one year work placement with me that past year. It worked out quite well. I believe he had been at the college for one year before coming out to work with me and I was impressed with the amount of basic arboricultural knowledge he had from that one year of schooling. It certainly surpassed what most folks in this country might have even after years in the industry. I think he forgot most of it over the course of the year here, though...:beerglass:

The top-up year is well worth the time and money. I didn't do it online so obviously got all the benefits of the open-door-policy at the Myerscough arb office and the lab sessions down at the proper uni in Preston, and being a full-time student you get the time to properly research the topics (and the chance at getting really good grades...;-D). On the other hand you also get to make aquantaince with loads of unruly 14 year olds on day release in the agricultural unit who lounge around in the library while you're trying to read up on SDS polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis...