Cable Bracing

benedmonds

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a climbing inspection on a mature Beech full of cable bracing, done over many years, there was all types, from bolts right through, to plain screw bolt, wire round the stem protected by hose pipe, and cobra.

On some of the older systems on the big heavy laterals, which had prbably been in 15-25? years they had restricted the limbs movement so much that the cross section was oval, as in there was no up and down movement allowed in the branch only side to side so thats where the reactive growth happend.

You could never remove that cable now as I doubt the limb would be able to support itself.

I put a cable in today, I didn't think it would have been needed, but it had a rusty old chain grown into the wood that had once been looped round the two branches. One side of the cable had snapped the other was under a lot of preassure. I used 4 ton webbing strops and steel cable.

I only ask as i've seen Horse Chesnut with old invasive braces fail as it did'nt compartmentalise around the bolt and they just pulled out in the middle of summer, these don't like invasive bracing it seems.

The Beech I inspected had almost swallowed the eye bolts and seemed to compartmentalise round them well.

I'm no expert though.

We use Cobra cable braces, which appear well thought out and sensible. The key, I think, is to ensure installation is appropriate and well placed, allowing enough slack for the limbs to move (and for continued growth) with the wind; not to set up a dependency where the limbs become weakened and unable to support themselves.

good thoughts there zen.

I have a huge job to price in which bracing a large visually prominent beech is one part. I would prefer to reduce the load by thinning before bracing. Would it be better to install after full feaf is developed and the strain is at its greatest, or before while the load is minimal?

good thoughts there zen.

I have a huge job to price in which bracing a large visually prominent beech is one part. I would prefer to reduce the load by thinning before bracing. Would it be better to install after full feaf is developed and the strain is at its greatest, or before while the load is minimal?

Best before full leaf, leaving enough slack to accomodate the weight of leaf, wind movement, growth etc. Cobra bracing is non invasive, and for contigency under duress.

My not-quite-better-half says best to consult with someone if inexperienced.

ive yet to see an invasive brace fail on a beach infact i think they work really well on them to the extent where ive taken down some monsters ive dropped limbs on braces then cut them up whilst still attached but dangling off the brace but not over the target zone.

oak and chesnut respond very badly though to evasive bracing, the tanin just creates to much reaction to compartmentalise over the bolts.

All said and done in the last 8 years ive braced any tree required including beach with cobra.

but if cheaper i dont see why evasive would be an issue with beach.....